[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Need help

been trying to root and having an area come up on the installation when i get to the part where you have to press "allow update.zip installation" then go down to "install/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)"
i get this message saying

-- Install from sdcard...
finding update package...
Opening update package...
verifying update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(No such file in directory)
Installation aborted.

I have done everything to the tee done the zip part with "hide extensions of known files" check so the file is update.zip exactly it in the root folder on the sdcard the folder that you can see everything on i have done the RSDlite 4.6 exactly as the instructions say to do it i just don't know why its not finding the update.zip file if thats what is wrong. any one have any ideas? if you know what wrong plz help me figuring this out I've tried it like 4 times now on both window's 7 and vista both of them having the same issues.

Last edited:
been trying to root and having an area come up on the installation when i get to the part where you have to press "allow update.zip installation" then go down to "install/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)"
i get this message saying

-- Install from sdcard...
finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(No such file in directory)
Installation aborted.

I have done everything to the tee done the zip part with "hide extensions of known files" check so the file is update.zip exactly it in the root folder on the sdcard the folder that you can see everything on i have done the RSDlite 4.6 exactly as the instructions say to do it i just don't know why its not finding the update.zip file if thats what is wrong. any one have any ideas? if you know what wrong plz help me figuring this out I've tried it like 4 times now on both window's 7 and vista both of them having the same issues.

It's not supposed to be in a folder. "Root of sd" means on your sd card and not in a folder.

This thread has been Thunder struck!

where i am putting it is on the SDcard. when i plug my droid into the usb i mount it and then click on computer and click and drag the "MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip" renamed "update.zip" to the removable disc. then i start the catching the boot and install process.

where i am putting it is on the SDcard. when i plug my droid into the usb i mount it and then click on computer and click and drag the "MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip" renamed "update.zip" to the removable disc. then i start the catching the boot and install process.
Try moving the file this way, just for clarity sake-

Open two Explorer windows- one is where you've got the file on your C: drive, the other is the SD card (mounted by USB).

I think you understand that you want the file to go to the 'top-most' level of the SD directory structure- that is, no folder at all.

Drag and drop the file, or copy and paste the file, or whichever thing you like to do.
Watch as Windows moves the file and be sure that the file has arrived to the SD card in the proper place.

I say all this because I couldn't quite tell what you were doing to move the file. There are many, many ways to move a file, so let's try a different one and see if that works any better.

downloaded the file again and tried it and worked thanks a lot for you help.

Thanks, figured that out right after i asked the question.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

i am going through the process of rooting my phone and do not have a root folder on my sd card. am i looking in the wrong place. i see it on my phones mem. but not on the sd card

"Root of sd" means not in a folder so, you're not supposed to have a root folder.

Thanks, figured that out right after I asked the question.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Sorry if this has been asked already (i'm sure it has but have trouble finding it), but I rooted using this method and currently am on FRG83D v2.2.1 on the Droid 1 and am getting OTA update pushes for FRG83G. I really don't use root for anything, just wanted to try it for the hell of it so I would like to go back to the stock Verizon unroot state so that I can just accept the standard updates from now on. Is there a way to unroot and revert back to the state of the phone as it was before SPrecovery was installed?

Again I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere :mellow:

-Paul

This was addressed in a sticky thread in Rescue Squad section.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

help with sbf intall

Ok so im pretty new to this stuff but i made it all the way to the sbf install. when i hit ïnstall /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) I get:
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
opening update package...
E:can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
installation aborted
i assume the file is just bad but being new at this i dont want to just go find one and have it be something different that will mess up my phone. If this has already been disscussed just let me know where and i'll look it up but i didnt see it in the fei and i look through some of the posts but theres so many that i figured this would be faster. thanks for any help.
by the way i have windows 7 x64

Ok so im pretty new to this stuff but i made it all the way to the sbf install. when i hit ïnstall /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) I get:
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
opening update package...
E:can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(bad)
installation aborted
i assume the file is just bad but being new at this i dont want to just go find one and have it be something different that will mess up my phone. If this has already been disscussed just let me know where and i'll look it up but i didnt see it in the fei and i look through some of the posts but theres so many that i figured this would be faster. thanks for any help.
by the way i have windows 7 x64
Try downloading the file again from the source.:icon_ banana:

i tried that if by source you mean clicking the link provided and starting over by deleting the update file on my phone and putting it back in after it loads from the link. should i just keep doig that until it works it seems like thats what some people did.

Back