[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

You didn't root this way did you?

You need to flash this sbf (recovery only) in the OP and then either reinstall the ROM and wipe data and cache or just wipe data and cache.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How do you know you were rooted? It almost sounds like he didn't "catch the boot" while flashing his custom recovery.

Brandon

He didn't use this method. But he was rooted using another method.

Help... root with broken power button

So the other day my droid's power button completely stopped working. Since it's already past the warranty I would like to find a way to root my phone so I can remap the camera button as the power button, but how do I get this thing rooted when I can't press the power button?

If anyone could help at all that'd be awesome. There's got to be a way to root this thing that doesn't require the use of my power button.

Yes, there is. A battery pull will turn it off, of course. Then plugging in to the wall charger will turn it on. Also, with it plugged in, pulling the battery will reboot the phone. I can only get my phone to do this with the wall charger, not the usb.

I don't think he would be able to use this method to root though. At least on my Droid, the phone won't auto-power on when you plug in the cable if the "x" button is depressed to get into recovery.

Maybe if he plugs the cable in a millisecond before depressing "x" it will work, but I haven't tried that.

Brandon

I can get the phone into stock recovery by holding X then inserting the battery/power cord... the problem seems to be getting through step 5, where I have to hold the power button and up at the same time. When I attempt that step I just get a blank screen for a minute or two, then it reboots.

I'd prefer to root my phone using this method since I've already done it a few times but had to revert to stock for various reasons, but I'd be willing to try it another way if it gets me root access so I can remap that broken power button.

Would SuperOneClick work in my situation? Never tried it but it seems relatively straight forward with no need for the power button to root it.

Hmmm, so the phone powers on while you have the "up" button pressed on the d-pad rocker, and then instead of going into the bootloader, it stays blank, and then powers off, and reboots?

Brandon

What happens is this... the power button is completely dead, so I pull the battery out to shut it off, then plug in the usb cord from the computer to the droid (it's still shut off at this point). Then while holding up, I put the battery back in and it boots up to a blank black screen. If I leave it at this screen after a minute or two it will just reboot itself back to the android os but I could never get it to the bootloader screen.

Granted this was all last night on a 50% charge so I'll probably try it again later tonight when I'm home and have it fully charged. If I can't figure out a way to get this method working relatively soon, I might just end up having to give that SuperOneClick a try but I'd rather get this method working since I've done it a few times in the past.

thanks for the flawless instructions, i got my girl's nicece's old Droid rooted with no problems! now for some custom ROMs..... which are recommended? besides Cyanogen, which i will probably start with.

Can we please keep the ROM discussions out of this thread?

Thank you.

Install Issue

I rooted my phone yesterday using this method and everything worked great. I am having an issue when trying to install custom roms though. Every rom that I have tried to install gets to the the end of bootanimation, looks like its about to load up, then bootloops. I've tried to install roms with Sprecovery, Clockwork, and RZR recovery, but I've had the same results with each. I'm on stock rooted FRG83D. Is there something I'm overlooking? I've been rooted a while now, I just got a replacement phone which is why I'm re-rooting. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Hi Jon,

Have you created a new thread? This is not the place for ROM flashing.

Please see the guide in my signature, and you can post there if you still need help.

Thanks.

I checked out FAQ.

I am getting this error while installing RSD Lite 4.6.

Windows 7, x32 bit (x86 they call it) computer here. I used this link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R1IAK3B5

Thanks for the help.

2558181d.jpg

Last edited:
Back