[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Yeah, got SU. Running ROM Manager to try CyanogenMod 6.0. Backing up right now.

Last edited:
@MotoCache1 thank you for this write up. i just rooted my girlfriends droid last night and it was a breeze! rooted on the first try with no probs! these were the easiest instructions to follow. thanks for your time to write both the quick and detailed processes out. my gf is so happy to be rooted and i couldnt have done it without this reference. thanks again! dancedroid:D

Great writeup, I was able to root my Droid in under three minutes. A suggestion to people using Windows machines, there's sometimes as Windows will search for a "better" driver after you connect the Droid via USB, and after your flash the phone. This is normal, you just have to be patient.

Thank you so much!!!

Thanks so much for posting this! I tried SuperOneClick, z4 and other methods but this works for ANY OS version with very well written instructions! The hardest part for me was finding a windows machine to do it on ha. I used RsdLite4.9 and it still worked flawlessly. Again, Thanks so much!!

This worked great the first time I rooted. I unrooted to update to frg83g and now my phone won't show in RSD,it just shows seflashomap. I made sure I had the right drivers and version of rsd. Help please!

It wont say A855. It gives the flash processor type which is OMAP. Does it give you an error when you try to flash?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

FEI 10 - What is the cure?

@ MotoCache1

Wonderful step-by-step notes (thesis), MotoCache1.

Because I did not have the update file in place in the root of my SD card, I ran into Frequently Encountered Issue 10. I tried repeating Steps 4-16, but did not get past Step 10 (I got the dreaded triangle). What do I do now?

It would have helped me if Step 2 of the Brief Procedure had been repeated in the Detailed Procedure.

@ MotoCache1

It would have helped me if Step 2 of the Brief Procedure had been repeated in the Detailed Procedure.

It is detailed in the detailed section its bullet #3.

And also further explained at the end.

Do you still require assistance?

Thanks guidot, for some reason I was expecting it to say a855. Even after that it wouldn't activate the start button, so then I ran through the steps on 6 of the FEI, and finally got the start button working by moving the file to C: and renaming it MC1.sbf. Of course then it started throwing the Failed Flashing alarm so I ran through the steps of post 317 but that didn't work so I had to go to the post from rezo on Android Forums and that finally allowed me to flash the sbf file. It worked so easily the first time I rooted, I don't know what changed this time.

Much thanks to everybody for all the great documentation!!!

@ MotoCache1

It is detailed in the detailed section its bullet #3.

And also further explained at the end.

Do you still require assistance?

You are correct. I missed it in Step 3. All is well now. The Droid is rooted, and Barnacle works. Seems slow, but it works, and it will be great when I am on the road.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Just performed my very first root on my D1. Thanks for this amazing walk through. Took me a little patience to read and adapt the instructions to run in a mac terminal. I don't have a pc with Windows or Linux. The new universal sbf_flash worked perfectly. Thank you for your time. dancedroid

Rooted, first time, no problems at all. Previously rooted a Coby Kyros MID7015. These instructions were easier, and certainly less stressful. Great walkthrough. Thanks!

Link to RSD Lite v4.6 in the instructions was broken... be careful looking for it. I hit a couple of pages that tried to load malware while searching for it.

I know this is an old post, but I just had to chime in because I just used this procedure on my Droid, and it works like a champ. Thanks for the EXCELLENT write up. I'm no dummy, but this procedure scared me before I read this. The writeup gave me the understanding and confidence to jump into the root end of the pool.

It works!!!! <g>dancedroid

Thanks, MotoCache! I really appreciate it.

Flyboyron
NEWLY rooted Droid
Android 2.2.2, FRG83G

Back