[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

1 you can't back up a rom before you root. So you are find there.

2 I believe you could still unroot using a one click method even if you rooted manually. Root is root, so it shouldn't matter. You could just try it, it won't hurt anything.

If not you will have to sbf back to stock. That way is easy too.

You mixed what said in post #1859 with something I later said in post #1869 here ;)

So to putting back in context those separate quotations, I need to clarify here for sake of record and future readers that:

- in the first quote from post #1869, I was asking for help after following the instructions on post #1 to the T, with the only difference that I originally used RDSLite 4.9 instead of 4.6 which doesn't matter since they both work fine and accomplish the same task: flashing the sbf file with SPRecovery onto the Droid 1. By the way that steps works fine and gives no problems.

- the process described in post #1859 is indeed the same as post #1 because that's what I followed and the files I flashed were the ones downloaded from post#1 with exception for RDSLite 4.6 as that link is broken and I ened up downloading RDSLite 4.9 as said above. Although I do not spend time re-describing the steps I went through I did follow every single one as described and very carefully. It all basically boils down to flashing the SPRecovery onto the phone with RDSLite and then access SPRecovery to flash update.zip to root the device. In case of any doubt, the process I followed is what summarized in the "Brief Procedure" section.

Note: I must to point out that when I first purchased my Droid back in December 2009 these steps worked fine in their entirety. That may be due to the fact that the original Droid was running a 2.01 kernel at that time. The same steps did not work for me on a the same model phone (Droid 1) now that I purchased a replacement on ebay which was already running stock Android v.2.2.2.

<IMPORTANT NOTE!!!> (if nothing else just read this)
- If you, like me, are a reader who's trying to flash a Droid 1 running a 2.2 Kernel (or higher), then on post #1 YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN IN:

ITEM 5 in the section "Things you're going to need:"
5. My "complete root" update file. (Link)

AND

STEPS 2 and 7 in the section: "Brief Procedure:
2. Copy MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip to the root of your phone's SD card and name it as update.zip.

7. Apply update.zip

If you will download and flash the update.zip provided in step#1's instructions, that will cause you the same issues I ended up experiencing (No Signal, No battery, Loop reboots about every 1 minute).

What caused the problem on my Droid 1 was that using the update.zip downloaded from MotoCache1 post#1, I ended up flashing a 2.01 kernel onto a 2.2 phone, like Guidot wisely pointed out in post #1862, something that helped me get to a solution later on (many thanks to Guidot once again).

Just be aware of this issues and you should be fine if you will flash your Droid 1 using a ROM with the latest kernel.
</IMPORTANT NOTE!!!> ;D

So in conclusion what I said in post #1859 (the first quote you showed in your post #1875) absolutely refers to the process in post #1.

And what I said in post #1869 mentions that installing MIUI ROM (which contained a 2.2 kernel, and could have been any ROM with Kernel 2.2 or higher) is what actually what fixed the problems.
Limited to what you quoted (2nd quote) from my post #1869, the issues I experienced did come from following the instructions on post #1 (limited to flashing the update.zip provided via the download link on post#1) and if you are advising readers otherwise you'd be misleading them into experiencing the same problems I did.
In order to prevent that readers who come along later will incur in the same issues I posted the <IMPORTANT NOTE!!!> earlier... something that should perhaps added as a disclaimer on post#1 since nowadays most Droid will have a kernel >2.01.

I hope this helps clarify the confusion that those separate statement you took out of context may have caused :)

Thanks again for all the help this community provides!

PS: forgive any errors has I had no time to go though the post with fine tooth comb and revise grammar... Besides it's not my fault, my "keyborad" is dyslectic! ;P

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I just spent about half an hour browsing this thread, but at 188 pages, I was quickly overwhelmed, and I don't know where else to turn.

I rooted using the method described in post #1 and everything went fine. Two things escaped me.

1) The instructions didn't recommend to do a backup prior to Rooting the Droid, so I didn't.

2) That with a manual Rooting process, it isn't a 1-click step to UN-root the device if I should ever need to.

With that said, is there a simple process that is easily outlined to remove Root access (or even hide it), should I need to? If it is somewhere else in this thread, if someone could point to it, I'd be very grateful.

If you need more information about the Droid 1 that I've rooted, I can gather that information as well. I don't have the device with me right now.

I don't need to immediately remove root on the device at the moment, but I may have the need in the near future. I just wasn't thinking ahead.

I searched on unrooting on the web, and found a few forums describing theoretical processes that might work to remove a manual root, but I'm wondering if this particular method has a specific method which should be used to remove root. Before I go off and try those methods, I figured I should check back here. Again, my apologies - I should have thought about and asked these questions before I moved ahead with rooting the device.

There are a few ways to unroot.

One is sbf fullfile using RSDLite. (See teddyearp's signature for Droid files).

Other is apply an update.zip of a Verizon Official OTA through recovery.

BTW, you CAN make a backup with this method BEFORE you apply the update.zip file. But don't worry, I forgot to do it too.

After you sbf recovery on and you reboot to recovery, you can make a backup there, which would be your stock setup before you apply MotoCache1's update.zip root file.

No big deal though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Guidot...

Thanks! And I *did* read your sig-link to "the right way to ask a question", before I posted. :)

I did figure that there was a way to backup before doing the root, as I did this with my Coby Kyros MID7015 before I rooted it. Live and learn. At least I didn't do anything impossible to undo.

Thanks also to Droiid for your response.

@freakqnc: I'm not trying to get into a peeing match, the main flaw I wanted to point out was that this guide does NOT include the use of this exact file: SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf. That file and any guide, thread, post, video, or link to it should have been removed from the internet over a year ago when Froyo was released as it still is the cause of much grief when people use it! The SPRecovery_ESE.81.sbf file includes a 2.1 kernel which is why you had the result you posted in #1859. So to say that you follwed this guide to a 't' in the same breath as mentioning SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf is simply incorrect.

MotoCache1's .sbf file contains no kernel and neither does his update.zip file. All his update.zip file contains is the 'su' and 'busybox' binaries and Superuser.apk with some scripts and the proper scripting within the updater-script file to install all of such. All one has to do is open it to see for themself what it contains.

earp

Last edited:
Page one seems pretty quick and easy. I got all the stuff downloaded and ready to go. But, I just read the last page. Seems there are going to be some updates needed. Reading this whole thread does not seem like a quick and easy method of rooting. (sigh, should have stayed in computer class back in jr high).

Okay, this Saturday I'm gonna order some pizza get a super big gulp and make myself a check list and make sure everything is updated and good to go. Then I will double check my checklist. And by the evening i should be rooted with a brand new-esh old droid. Unless some one is kind enough to make this more simpler for my lazy self :) cuz this thread gave me a headache already

Okay, this Saturday I'm gonna order some pizza get a super big gulp and make myself a check list and make sure everything is updated and good to go. Then I will double check my checklist. And by the evening i should be rooted with a brand new-esh old droid. Unless some one is kind enough to make this more simpler for my lazy self :) cuz this thread gave me a headache already

Fear not for if everything goes right and you catch the reboot at the right moment... this whole thing won't even take 15 minutes. I managed to successfully do it in about that much time even though my hands were shaking the whole time!!! If I can do this anyone. can

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tuffD1, nothing needs to be updated about this method. The poster on the previous page had this method and another very outdated method confused with each other, which is what I was trying to point out. As DoctorDeDroid said, this method is still valid.

The only thing that needs updated is the link to RSD Lite 4.6 is broken in the first post. However, I have that file in my collection linked in my sig.

good luck

Hello, I'm a noob to droid 1 but not rsd lite and custom Roms. I have a droid x as my daily driver. I bought a Og to play around with.
My question is do I have to use rsd 4.6? I currently have 4.8 installed that I use with my x. I tried rooting it last night using 4.8 and everything looked good. It said pass and everything. But couldn't get to custom recovery. Maybe I just can't catch the boot. Any how, if anyone could tell me if 4.6 is a must I would really appreciate it.
Sent from my Miui DROIDX using DroidForums

If RSD Lite said pass and everything, then you should be good, you just have to catch the boot, otherwise it will overwrite the custom recovery.

What is happening is that this method will allow you to put a custom recovery on your phone which, while running has the phone in su mode. Then while in that mode in recovery, MC1's update.zip file will install the su and busybox binaries, Superuser.apk, and then rename the script that checks the recovery on normal boot up and re-write it to stock if stock is not found. That is why it is important to 'catch the boot' the first time with this method.

good luck

If RSD Lite said pass and everything, then you should be good, you just have to catch the boot, otherwise it will overwrite the custom recovery.

What is happening is that this method will allow you to put a custom recovery on your phone which, while running has the phone in su mode. Then while in that mode in recovery, MC1's update.zip file will install the su and busybox binaries, Superuser.apk, and then rename the script that checks the recovery on normal boot up and re-write it to stock if stock is not found. That is why it is important to 'catch the boot' the first time with this method.

good luck

So if I miss the boot. I have start with rsd lite again and then try to catch the boot again correct?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Back