[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(No such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

Okay, after long work week and a 6 hour nap from my last attempt of rooting, I woke up on a mission. I was not going to let these simple steps beat me. Well rested and fed, I went at it on a clean slate... blah blah blah. I did it, yay. Any recommendations for a cool rom to help give new life to this beaten and batterd D1? Thanx 2 all. Really.

Thank you nerds

I was worried when I first started researching how to root my phone but I followed the instructions last night and everything was super easy. Thank you all so much for the time you've put into the forums and the help you've provided. I also followed instructions on flashing a rom and that was a snap, too. Now it's easier to wait for Verizon to release some new phones and I can finally get rid of this damn amazon app.

@guidot, good eye-good eye. I get annoyed about "the best" too. I tried to tone it down with "cool" :)

I hope I'm not in trouble.

I followed this sticky word for word, Installed RSD Lite 4.6 unzipped the .sbf file. I copied the update.zip and did all the steps. Everything went well and I'm currently attempting a nandroid default back up.

But now Im reading these later posts that say, don't do steps 5 and 7 and 9... Im flashing a 2.01 on a 2.2 rom and what have you?

Did I just kill my phone? I'm waiting for my phone to finish backing up but I'm not sure what i just did since I am running FroYo 2.2.2 and now I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Edit: Phone starts up just fine.. I have GPA16 (Gingerbread 2.3.5) as a zip on my SD card. (it installed successfully using ROM Manager earlier today but I got a bootloop and reverted back to my backup) Now that I have SPrecovery rotted on the phone I'm not sure if that backup is available and if I install Gingerbread ROM I'll get in the bootloop again and not be able to backup.)

Maybe I should quit this Rooting and Rom business..

Last edited:

I followed this sticky word for word, Installed RSD Lite 4.6 unzipped the .sbf file. I copied the update.zip and did all the steps. Everything went well and I'm currently attempting a nandroid default back up.

But now Im reading these later posts that say, don't do steps 5 and 7 and 9... Im flashing a 2.01 on a 2.2 rom and what have you?

Did I just kill my phone? I'm waiting for my phone to finish backing up but I'm not sure what i just did since I am running FroYo 2.2.2 and now I'm not sure what to do.

If you use the file:

MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip

Which is *included* in the first posting, you are in absolutely, positively, unequivocally not in trouble at all!*

With this file DO follow steps 5, 6, 7 and so forth. If you've flashed SPRecovery, and not the update.zip file, if you reboot, I believe it'll return
you completely to stock. It's only after you've flashed Moto's update.zip does the thing stick.

I used these files and followed all the steps, and my phone is rooted and functional, and it still says "Android version: 2.2.2"!

RE: GPA 16 bootloop... I hear you have to wipe everything a couple of times before installing and that should do the trick. I don't know for sure since I've not put on anything other than the MC1 update zip

* Unless you do something silly like pull the battery or cable out while the flashing is in progress ;-)

Last edited:

If you use the file:

MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip

Which is *included* in the first posting, you are in absolutely, positively, unequivocally not in trouble at all!*

With this file DO follow steps 5, 6, 7 and so forth. If you've flashed SPRecovery, and not the update.zip file, if you reboot, I believe it'll return
you completely to stock. It's only after you've flashed Moto's update.zip does the thing stick.

I used these files and followed all the steps, and my phone is rooted and functional, and it still says "Android version: 2.2.2"!

RE: GPA 16 bootloop... I hear you have to wipe everything a couple of times before installing and that should do the trick. I don't know for sure since I've not put on anything other than the MC1 update zip

* Unless you do something silly like pull the battery or cable out while the flashing is in progress ;-)

Awesome! thanks for the reassurance. Everything seems to be okay... My PDA net doesn't seem to be working. but I'm glad my phone is.

So I guess now I can do Cyanogen Mod now if I want to dive deeper down the rabbit hole.

So I've completed all the steps in Post 1 and it appears to have been done successfully. I guess my next step is to use ROM Manager to Backup Current Mod, Flash ClockworkMod recovery? and then Reboot into recovery and install latest Cyanogenmod that's on my SD Card, right? or is there another step in there I should be focused on or missing?

Thanks

Edit: I found these steps on Cyanogenmod's wiki:
Method via ROM Manager
Launch RomManager.
Optional: Choose the first option in the app, Flash ClockworkMod Recovery to update to the latest version.
Select the Download ROM option from the main menu in the ROM Manager.
Select the CyanogenMod option, and then choose the latest version of CyanogenMod from the menu.
Optional: When you select the latest version of CyanogenMod, check the Google Apps* option.
Once the ROM is finished downloading, it asks if you would like to Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache.
If Superuser prompts for root permissions check to Remember and then Allow.
The Motorola Droid will now reboot into the recovery, wipe data and cache, and then install CyanogenMod. When it's finished installing it will reboot into CyanogenMod.

Since I have SPRecovery, will this not flash correctly? Or should I just follow these steps and be just fine?

Last edited:
I'm still on sp recovery... but afaik flashing another recovery will replace sprecovery.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Hey guys, talking about flashing roms here is straying off topic.

But since I'm here, you can flash CM with SP recovery. You dont necessarily need rom manager. RM is known to have issues. I would download the rom to my pc, then rename it update.zip and place it on the root of the sd. One thing about using RM is that a small hiccup in the phones data connection can cause problems for you. A pc is more reliable. If you do have problems with the rom after using RM, just download the rom again and start over.

Ah I'm sorry I didn't mean to stray from the topic, I'm really just figuring this stuff out for the first time. I appreciate all the help! I'm gonna try to work on it some more tomorrow.

Back