Screenshots of peoples Droid desktops?

I don't know specifics about the GUI. I have seen some impressive desktops.

Since I have been around computers since before Windows or Apple, the CLI is faster and easier for me than the GUI.

Everything depends on what you want to do with your system. A lot of people will load Linux on old systems, since it is not the resource hog that Windows is. And if you have not read about it, you can dual boot a Windows box, if Linux is loaded second.

Me too! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
I read about the dual boot but it didn't really give specifics other than it's possible.
How exactly does it work? And right now, I'm only trying it on the disc, if I boot windows, will it save all my settings and what not for when I boot Ubuntu up again?

..as for booting up From the disc, I'm petty sure its just a trial and its not going you save anything untill you install it...

In my own experience Dual booting win/linux was a pain. I had to repair my windows system every other time I booted it...look up vmware or parallels..you might like that option.

In my own experience Dual booting win/linux was a pain. I had to repair my windows system every other time I booted it...look up vmware or parallels..you might like that option.

I can only say that I have never heard of someone having to repair windows when they dual booted.

I'll have to ask my wife if she has any problems with windows - that she hasn't told me about. She has one software pack that can't run under WINE. I thought she was using it a couple of times a week. I haven't heard any complaints from her. (And she's an Art Major. About as non-technical as they come.)

What version were you running?

As for dual booting, you partition the hdd. Since you must load Windows first, Windows doesn't like Linux(!), it will be on your 1st partition. When you load Ubuntu, it will see the Windows formatted hdd and ask you if you want to use the entire drive or part of the drive. There will be a graphic showing the two partitions. You can manually select the partition sizes, but I just go 50/50 for the install. (You can resize partitions later.)

I am not trying to criticize Trenton, I just don't understand the problems he has encountered. His suggestion to go virtual is not uncommon.

Remember to back-up your windows stuff and have a recovery cd. Or you could load Clonezilla on a USB drive and create an image of the entire hdd.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. Can someone tell me how to change my Droid X like those pictured? I'm rooted. Do I have to load a different ROM?

MarkN

Last edited:
Whenever I run Linux I always dual boot.... my wife prefers windows... Before doing ANY partition work on windows I suggest backing up and running CCleaner and Disk defrag...

I also have separate partitions for Windows C: and all my documents and settings on D:

For Linux, you can make a separate boot partition but not necessary... also highly recommended to separate / and /home to separate partitions... you also only get 4 primary partitions on your hard drive... so if you do a /boot partition you must put it on a primary and the rest of linux on an extended partition.

Works like a charm! and after trying two or three distros it becomes second nature. You may even start seeing bit size in multiples of 1024 lol!

Edit: Booting from CD/USB boots into RAM and doesn't save settings... some distros will save them if on a USB however...

here's my latest.. dock is made from scratch by me but inspired from thequeencami over at xda.. do you guys like it at all?

new2.jpg

i want these!

...the icons are called "deviant white".. :)

Nice.. mkcm97, looking for these now. Are they out on the interwebz somewhere you can link or point to?

Find the member Alonsou, (he posted a few pages back), click his sig. And find my dropbox then they should be there! (we're not allowed to post links to personal sites... but it shouldn't be too hard to find it!)

can somebody tell me what clock widget this is...i cant find it

bobclockd3 i'm assuming...

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP Widget]Cowon D3 Clock

Nope not bobclock. its minimalistic text overlapped.

how do you get minimalistic text that big? its tiny every which way i do it

EDIT: i found the font size setting but now my minutes is showing up as only half the text no matter how big i stretch it

Last edited:
Back