2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm just curious on why verizon owes us a update? i dont remember being told that when i bought my phone and i'm very happy with it. does it say somewhere in the small print that they have to update it and keep us informed as to every move they make? i would love to get the update but its crazy that people are saying they owe us. i pay a monthly bill for the phone i have now and not what i might or might not get in the future. sorry if i come off rude but some people act so immature and i dont even recall verizon ever saying when the update was coming.

Isn't the Motorola Droid a "Google experience phone?" Also notable (and perhaps a selling point for some) is that the DROID is a Google Experience device, which should theoretically mean that it's more likely to receive fast and frequent software updates than its skinned cousins like the CLIQ. The Google Experience is sort of the "gold standard" Android showcase for the company, so to speak, and it's in Google's best interest to keep it rock solid at all times. - By Joshua Topolsky
Since it is a Google experience phone - Google will keep the Droid updated. Motorola will optimized the OS for the Droid but someone has said that its up to Google when to stop pushing updates. Take the G1 for example, Google promised TMO that it will continue to receive updates as best as it can, and sometime next month it will get a slim down version of 2.1.

i'm just curious on why verizon owes us a update? i dont remember being told that when i bought my phone and i'm very happy with it. does it say somewhere in the small print that they have to update it and keep us informed as to every move they make? i would love to get the update but its crazy that people are saying they owe us. i pay a monthly bill for the phone i have now and not what i might or might not get in the future. sorry if i come off rude but some people act so immature and i dont even recall verizon ever saying when the update was coming.

Well they purposefully made the decision to carry an android phone. For the uninformed, android is seen as a very progressive OS, as most things are from Google (They advance faster than everybody else). It is expected that an Android phone would receive incremental updates as say... a blackberry would be used to be productive, technically Verizon. To assume that verizon doesn't owe android users an update would be equivalent to assuming that Blackberry keyboards don't have to work. I mean really, they put the keys on there, but who said they would work?

Additionally, when available its a good business strategy to provide updates for a device. Especially when competitors are doing it as well (See: blackberry, iPhone, Palm who have all recently received OS upgrades. If VZW didn't provide updates for their phones, it wouldn't matter how good their network was. Nobody and I mean nobody would use it, and they would go out of business.

how is a update the same as a blackberry's keyboard not working? does your phone not work like it did when you bought it? i know we expect a update but they do not owe us a update. im sure we will get the updates but again they are not owed. like i said earlier, when i bought my droid they never said we will update the phone x amount of times a year or even update at all. also i would still use my phone even if there was no updates coming so i guess i'm nobody.

Why aren't there any sources actually commenting on the update, does anybody have any REAL info?

At this point, I think Motorola's Facebook page is about as "official" as we are going to get.

It's one of those "the more you read it, the less it says" type of statements. At least they put something out there, but I was hoping for something more substantial.... Oh well... I'll just keep being patient.

Isn't the Motorola Droid a "Google experience phone?" Also notable (and perhaps a selling point for some) is that the DROID is a Google Experience device, which should theoretically mean that it's more likely to receive fast and frequent software updates than its skinned cousins like the CLIQ. The Google Experience is sort of the "gold standard" Android showcase for the company, so to speak, and it's in Google's best interest to keep it rock solid at all times. - By Joshua Topolsky
Since it is a Google experience phone - Google will keep the Droid updated. Motorola will optimized the OS for the Droid but someone has said that its up to Google when to stop pushing updates. Take the G1 for example, Google promised TMO that it will continue to receive updates as best as it can, and sometime next month it will get a slim down version of 2.1.

i think people are missing keywords like: theoretically, most likely

also what does someone who works for engadget have to do with verizon, google or motorola? thats just some guys opinion.....

I'm 2000!!!!!!!
actually, I am :-D

Well they purposefully made the decision to carry an android phone. For the uninformed, android is seen as a very progressive OS, as most things are from Google (They advance faster than everybody else). It is expected that an Android phone would receive incremental updates as say... a blackberry would be used to be productive, technically Verizon. To assume that verizon doesn't owe android users an update would be equivalent to assuming that Blackberry keyboards don't have to work. I mean really, they put the keys on there, but who said they would work?

Additionally, when available its a good business strategy to provide updates for a device. Especially when competitors are doing it as well (See: blackberry, iPhone, Palm who have all recently received OS upgrades. If VZW didn't provide updates for their phones, it wouldn't matter how good their network was. Nobody and I mean nobody would use it, and they would go out of business.

how is a update the same as a blackberry's keyboard not working? does your phone not work like it did when you bought it? i know we expect a update but they do not owe us a update. im sure we will get the updates but again they are not owed. like i said earlier, when i bought my droid they never said we will update the phone x amount of times a year or even update at all. also i would still use my phone even if there was no updates coming so i guess i'm nobody.

My comparison was that a blackberry's keyboard is equivalent to an androids updates. Its a matter of what the OS represents (blackberry = productivity, android = progressive, user oriented.) And I'm amazed that you would buy phone that you have to pay atleast $30 a month for, and not expect an update. In my opinion you form a very small minority.

also what does someone who works for engadget have to do with verizon, google or motorola? thats just some guys opinion.....

Question, when you bought your Droid, did you know it is a Google Experience phone? If so, do you know what Google Experience means?

I disagree.

First, your analogy to BB : The Droid works now. Fine. The new function in 2.1 has nothing to do with basic function, and is primarily bells and whistles. Desirable? Yes. Required to do what the device is supposed to do? Not even close.

On the business imperative - they have updated the phone already with 2.01 (yawn). Maybe its not the update YOU wanted. I would assert that they lose a WHOLE lot more customers if they send out an update that wasnt ready for prime time NOW than if they didn't EVER send out 2.1. Imagine then meltdown of this place if 2.1 were to start bricking droids, or even if its kinda buggy.

Im looking forward to 2.1 when (if?) it comes. But if it doesnt, my Droid works well now. Im not OWED anything more except ongoing phone and data service, and warranty service for the device as long as my contract provides for it.

As an aside, I would much rather have this problem of an incessantly delayed release of pretty frills than the incessantly poor coverage and service that AT&T provides to a certain other PDA device.

just my $.02.

jc

I'm 2000!!!!!!!
actually, I am :-D

My comparison was that a blackberry's keyboard is equivalent to an androids updates. Its a matter of what the OS represents (blackberry = productivity, android = progressive, user oriented.) And I'm amazed that you would buy phone that you have to pay atleast $30 a month for, and not expect an update. In my opinion you form a very small minority.

i pay the $30 a month for the data/email plan not for updates.

Why aren't there any sources actually commenting on the update, does anybody have any REAL info?
nope all the info dried up after the Moto debacle.

The doors have been shut so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back