2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Isaiah
Really?? If they don't push updates they will go out of business? Have you seen the crap that VZW has been passing off as smartphones the last 5 years? Yet they are still biggest cell provider in US.

I had 2 different winmo phones before the Droid for over 4 years and received exactly 2 updates that pretty much added zilch in way of features.

Motorola facebook page says "working on it" thanks for your patience

Motorola We know you guys are anxiously awaiting the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. Ultimately, we want to ensure you have the best possible experience on your device; as a result, the rollout is taking longer than expected. Though we don't have the new deployment date to share just yet, we do promise we are working to get you updat...ed information and will relay it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We appreciate it!

I'm 2000!!!!!!!
actually, I am :-D
how is a update the same as a blackberry's keyboard not working? does your phone not work like it did when you bought it? i know we expect a update but they do not owe us a update. im sure we will get the updates but again they are not owed. like i said earlier, when i bought my droid they never said we will update the phone x amount of times a year or even update at all. also i would still use my phone even if there was no updates coming so i guess i'm nobody.

My comparison was that a blackberry's keyboard is equivalent to an androids updates. Its a matter of what the OS represents (blackberry = productivity, android = progressive, user oriented.) And I'm amazed that you would buy phone that you have to pay atleast $30 a month for, and not expect an update. In my opinion you form a very small minority.

i pay the $30 a month for the data/email plan not for updates.

This is equivalent "my taxes pay for education and improving roads, not war."
(which is a nice notion, but... sorry... no, thats not how this works.)

@Isaiah
Really?? If they don't push updates they will go out of business? Have you seen the crap that VZW has been passing off as smartphones the last 5 years? Yet they are still biggest cell provider in US.

I had 2 different winmo phones before the Droid for over 4 years and received exactly 2 updates that pretty much added zilch in way of features.

I'm not sure i believe this, As windows mobile has gone from 6.1 to 6.5 in the past two years alone (so maybe they just do them in larger increments) and there is windows mobile 7 to consider... though I'm hearing that that may not be something that other phones can upgrade to... so it may not count.

Either way, MAYBE 4 years ago you could get away with providing regular updates for a smart phone, and thats a biiig maybe. But to assume a smart phone would be successful without updates at this point... is actually kind of a joke.

I'm 2000!!!!!!!
actually, I am :-D
Well they purposefully made the decision to carry an android phone. For the uninformed, android is seen as a very progressive OS, as most things are from Google (They advance faster than everybody else). It is expected that an Android phone would receive incremental updates as say... a blackberry would be used to be productive, technically Verizon. To assume that verizon doesn't owe android users an update would be equivalent to assuming that Blackberry keyboards don't have to work. I mean really, they put the keys on there, but who said they would work?

Additionally, when available its a good business strategy to provide updates for a device. Especially when competitors are doing it as well (See: blackberry, iPhone, Palm who have all recently received OS upgrades. If VZW didn't provide updates for their phones, it wouldn't matter how good their network was. Nobody and I mean nobody would use it, and they would go out of business.

how is a update the same as a blackberry's keyboard not working? does your phone not work like it did when you bought it? i know we expect a update but they do not owe us a update. im sure we will get the updates but again they are not owed. like i said earlier, when i bought my droid they never said we will update the phone x amount of times a year or even update at all. also i would still use my phone even if there was no updates coming so i guess i'm nobody.

My comparison was that a blackberry's keyboard is equivalent to an androids updates. Its a matter of what the OS represents (blackberry = productivity, android = progressive, user oriented.) And I'm amazed that you would buy phone that you have to pay atleast $30 a month for, and not expect an update. In my opinion you form a very small minority.

This is my first smart phone and I didn't even know that they do updates untill I came on the boards. And your BB comparison still doesn't make any sence. When did BB owners get a new keyboard update?

i know i shouldnt say this... but... im not losing faith. i just like change. and keeping stock is getting old lol. so i am going to milk the cow.. and try out some new "milk". i will continue to post on here. and anxiously await the update. i just love doing this.

:)

Hopefully 2.1 improves battery a bit too. android is becoming less and less of a battery whore in every revision and I'm loving that. It would be nice to have the update by my 18th birthdat (April 5th) lol :)

Here's an analogy.....you have a toyota and you know the brake is buggy yet you still drive it knowing they'll have an update.. you bought the toyota as is, but, if there are any "bugs" you know they'll try to come out with a fix..

Heck, windows updates all the time with patches....

when did the BBs get a keyboard update OTA? I remember it took BB for ever to push out 5.0 and its still only on 3 phones

How's this for some good speculation.....

Maybe VZW/Moto have put it on hold for reasons of a possible loss of revenue. Seeing that the Devour was just released. I have underlined the text that leads me to speculate about this. It's quite possible and not far fetched. You will all find this article very interesting whether you agree or not.

Thoughts and comments?

According to two U.S. network operator sources cited by MocoNews, Google has been paying the wireless network operators and handset manufacturers to adopt and deploy the Android platform. The payments are in the form of an ad-share deal that provides the operators and OEMs with a portion of advertising revenue generated by those handsets containing select Google applications such as search, maps and Gmail. When asked to comment, Verizon Wireless declined to say anything.

A Google spokesperson told Phone Scoop via email, "Any terms of our agreements with partners are confidential." In an email to Phone Scoop, Motorola spokesperson Kathy van Buskirk said, "As is our normal policy, we don't comment on details of our vendor or technology provider relationships." T-Mobile spokesperson Erica Gordon said, "T-Mobile does not comment on their business relationships." AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom said, "We don’t comment on business relationships." Phone Scoop has yet to hear back from HTC, Samsung, and Sprint on the issue.

By offering network operators and handset makers cash to deploy Android, Google more or less paid for the platform's success and expansion to-date. This has and may continue to change the competitive landscape of the wireless industry. Cash-strapped companies may not be able to strike the same deals with wireless network operators that Google can.

Source: Phone Scoop

Last edited:
Hopefully 2.1 improves battery a bit too. android is becoming less and less of a battery whore in every revision and I'm loving that. It would be nice to have the update by my 18th birthdat (April 5th) lol :)

Theres already been a list of what 2.1 is going to do published, and longer battery life was on the list.

It was also on the list on 2.0.1. And we got tons of people thrilled with the improvement. We also has just as many saying the battery got worst.

Battery is a funny thing in the smart phone world.;)

How's this for some good speculation.....

Maybe VZW/Moto have put it on hold for reasons of a possible loss of revenue. Seeing that the Devour was just released. I have underlined the text that leads me to speculate about this. It's quite possible and not far fetched. You will all find this article very interesting whether you agree or not.

Thoughts and comments?

According to two U.S. network operator sources cited by MocoNews, Google has been paying the wireless network operators and handset manufacturers to adopt and deploy the Android platform. The payments are in the form of an ad-share deal that provides the operators and OEMs with a portion of advertising revenue generated by those handsets containing select Google applications such as search, maps and Gmail. When asked to comment, Verizon Wireless declined to say anything.

A Google spokesperson told Phone Scoop via email, "Any terms of our agreements with partners are confidential." In an email to Phone Scoop, Motorola spokesperson Kathy van Buskirk said, "As is our normal policy, we don't comment on details of our vendor or technology provider relationships." T-Mobile spokesperson Erica Gordon said, "T-Mobile does not comment on their business relationships." AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom said, "We don’t comment on business relationships." Phone Scoop has yet to hear back from HTC, Samsung, and Sprint on the issue.

By offering network operators and handset makers cash to deploy Android, Google more or less paid for the platform's success and expansion to-date. This has and may continue to change the competitive landscape of the wireless industry. Cash-strapped companies may not be able to strike the same deals with wireless network operators that Google can.

Source: Phone Scoop

Just curious, CK... (I am sure I am missing something) How would Motorola/Verizon lose money on not deploying. Not doubting your assessment, just right at the moment, it's not real clear, to me, anyway.

Nothing Changed

This is the most entertaining thread I have read! I think I have read every page over the past few days. I am a little surprised at the level of anger and highly amused with the lighthearted comments. Having moved from a Storm 1 to a Droid, I am one extremely happy smart-phone owner. This is a solid phone, works all the time, has more free apps than I have time to mess with, doesn't have to be rebooted every hour, does more than I need to have it do, is fast, provides me with hours of fun everyday while working hard as my business phone, etc., etc., etc.

I am still running stock and not too worried about 2.1. I wouldn't be reading this thread unless I was interested in the update but I'm not upset about it. Definitely not going to throw my phone out the window. Haven't figured out how having to wait for an update can turn a phone into junk - same phone I bought 3 months ago, same phone I loved before I heard there was going to be an update - nothing changed except the release date for the update.

Also wanted to say how much I appreciate the moderators here in the droid forum. Again, after coming from some Blackberry forums, I really, really, really appreciate the way the these forums are managed. I don't want to come here and have to sort through someone else's dumped garbage. I want to learn, share, have fun, and enjoy the droid experience. So - thanks to the moderators for keeping it clean, polite, and on-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back