2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to not having to be rebooted... it boots faster than the storm could ever hope to! No more 5+ minute boot times.

I just hope they fix the problem with the phone when you are talking on it. I was chatting with a business client tonight and the phone started beeping numbers. I wish there would be an option to lock the phone while in a call.

How's this for some good speculation.....

Maybe VZW/Moto have put it on hold for reasons of a possible loss of revenue. Seeing that the Devour was just released. I have underlined the text that leads me to speculate about this. It's quite possible and not far fetched. You will all find this article very interesting whether you agree or not.

Thoughts and comments?

I don't buy it. Verizon wouldn't have prepped the release as much as they did and then cancelled it when they did. There are some differences between the Milestone and the Droid, important enough to mean they definitely run different CVS branches, I'm sure.

Put the conspiracy theories aside: all signs point to Verizon working hard to get this release prepared and out to the end users. It's not like the general public is going to really notice or care about the difference between Android 2.0.1 and 2.1 (especially if they're considering the Devour). Verizon has to put the hysterical blogger world/fanboy frenzy aside and recognize that the VAST majority of their customer base with Droids is not sitting around F5ing for the update every day, and much more than they expect the update last month they expect it to work right, the first time they get it OTA.

Bricking phones or losing everyones data that got a broken OTA update on Verizon's first flagship Android phone would be an epic PR catastrophe and cost them hugely. You have to keep all of that in mind and it puts the 3 months since the N1 came out (that we've been waiting for a 2.1 update) into perspective. I have no doubt it's coming, and pretty darn soon.

I can wait for the update, but I did root. There are a lot of great apps out there for a rooted droid.

In addition to not having to be rebooted... it boots faster than the storm could ever hope to! No more 5+ minute boot times.

Lol - I had forgotten about that great little bonus with the Storm! If you had to reboot it while you were working, you might as well go have lunch. There is no comparison between the Storm and the Droid. My husband still has his and I hate it when I have to use it.

Love my Droid - even on 2.0.1 :biggrin:

I just hope they fix the problem with the phone when you are talking on it. I was chatting with a business client tonight and the phone started beeping numbers. I wish there would be an option to lock the phone while in a call.

When im on a call, after its initiated, i hit home. then it goes home and then i lock it. so if the screen comes on from it not being too close to your ear, its on your home screen. i end calls all the time when im on the dialer.

:D

Well to add to the confusion and rumors

Seems there is an issue with Skype and 2.1, I did not get any information beyond that.

But since the release of Skype so close on the heels of a major upgrade guess prudent minds took over and decided to ensure full compatibility with 2.1 before releasing and breaking Skype.

Just my 2 cents, with or without 2.1 best smart phone I ever owned...

I still get tickled when it sings DROID while I am in meetings.....:icon_ banana:

Be patient better correct than quick and deadly...

@ Tim

News of 2.1 finally being released and all the chatter that comes with it would bury the launch of the Devour for VZW.

As an analogy. In the film industry some films will not open around the time they know the big blockbuster will open. So they will move the release so that their film wont get lost in all the hoopla of the other film.

Right now the news on the tech blogs , among other things, is VZW releasing the Devour.

This is only for the sake of discussion I'm not saying this is the case but it would stand to reason.

@ Tim

News of 2.1 finally being released and all the chatter that comes with it would bury the launch of the Devour for VZW.

As an analogy. In the film industry some films will not open around the time they know the big blockbuster will open. So they will move the release so that their film wont get lost in all the hoopla of the other film.

Right now the news on the tech blogs , among other things, is VZW releasing the Devour.

This is only for the sake of discussion I'm not saying this is the case but it would stand to reason.

@ Tim

And this could very well be possible.

When im on a call, after its initiated, i hit home. then it goes home and then i lock it. so if the screen comes on from it not being too close to your ear, its on your home screen. i end calls all the time when im on the dialer.

:D

I have done that as well only to have the phone unlock itself.

@ Tim

I see your point now. It does stand to reason, and it does make some sense.

OK I am a NEWBIE... How do I know which version on the OS I have? A

From home screen menu (the 4 line thing between home and back) > settings > about phone (all the way at the bottom) It should be near the bottom of that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back