2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verizon:

You are not my friend anymore. I'm gonna go home and compile my own rom, you bastiges!

For you ya bastidge

[video=youtube;6GVCgTFw2Qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVCgTFw2Qk&feature=related]YouTube - Moroneys best bits (Johnny Dangerously)[/video]

The software has many things on it that are specific to each of these companies. Verizon has their own thing, Google has their own thing, as do Motorola/HTC. It's hard to say who's hands EXACTLY it's in at this moment. I was just passing along information that I had at hand.

As for VZW being stringent, they do not employ robots, nor do any other carrier. No carrier can account for what each individual is doing. I'm just saying from the experiences that I have had with the company myself, yes, they are an awesome carrier. I would choose them before any other. BUT -- They employ erroneous humans just like any other company.

Also, just to add. I don't think the manufacturer is still testing the software at this time. It's also being released for the Sprint Hero at the same time. I think that's a good sign that it's done/close to done in testing and is just waiting for OKs from the carrier.

Pahahahahaha. You guys think waiting for 2.1 is hard? At least y'all have the option to milk the cow. I've got a dripping faucet that is pretty good at not giving me any water most of the time. I've had a phone that can't charge since January. I'm currently stuck with an iPod and wifi as my only form of mobile communication. I've been anxiously awaiting April 2nd since then for my upgrade. Who thinks the Droid will be a slight upgrade when I finally get my eager hands on one?

than move on

i'm just curious on why verizon owes us a update? i dont remember being told that when i bought my phone and i'm very happy with it. does it say somewhere in the small print that they have to update it and keep us informed as to every move they make? i would love to get the update but its crazy that people are saying they owe us. i pay a monthly bill for the phone i have now and not what i might or might not get in the future. sorry if i come off rude but some people act so immature and i dont even recall verizon ever saying when the update was coming.

Yes you do come off rude and sorry its your post but i have read this similar thing over and over!
Motorola and google both stated the droid would get 2.1(period)
not everyone here bought the droid nov 6 so many bought it with the update in mind.
I myself picked the droid because it would get flash now thats one that if it doesnt come i cant complain about because the maker of the phone isnt the person releasing it and no official announcement has been made that we will deliver it its adobe's.
Verizon doesnt owe us anything but motorola does and if verizon doesnt want to allow the droid on their service with 2.1 than they can lose the million or so customers but yes motorola does owe it because they stated it!

Now with that in mind we get to the time frame. Originally there wasnt one than it was rumored jan 22, than motorola announced this week. than internal documents from verizon saying this week. If it said quarter 1 than we would just be getting excited now. Most here are disapointed that we didnt get it yet but noone is that upset (i dont believe) what they are angry about is being treted like 2 year olds and not being given an honest answer as to why. We know what the internal documnets to verizon employees said the 18th update is delayed a new date tbd. Than they come out and say eveything is on track we sent out to 1000 and 2.1 is coming just not now . Everything was not on track obviously and that was a bold face lie! We give 100 or so some much more a month to these folks we are their customers and expect to be told the truth and when they actually respond with a bold face lie we get upset .
I read probably 200 posts a day here and you see my message isnt up that high thats because if i dont have any info i dont respond (except for maybe a couple quips). Your post has been posted repeatedly and does not need to be. If cereal or someone wants to say something about what people say that is their job not your to tell people how they should think!

I am a nurse and guess what my customers get kinda upset if i dont tell them whats happening no differeent than the customers here. Glad you feel different but please dont tell me and others what i am owed or what to think!

Cereal Sorry hope this doesnt offend you but I am tired of people telling me what i should say or think ( unless its you or another moderator on here)
Obviously he didnt call me imature since i have not posted prior to this but I dont expect others to call others immature for actually stating there feelings on this situation.

my whole problem with it is that they never gave a date of when to expect it, most went off of internal documents and then got mad when it didnt happen. i've never heard anything besides soon from verizon or motorola. maybe i'm just very umm different and dont feel that everyone owes me and i'm just trying to understand why so many people say they are owed a update. if you are owed something it means there was some kind of contract stating you would get this or that, i dont recall getting that when i upgraded my phone. i just wanted the best phone out there, i cant wait for 2.1 either but if i never get it atleast i still have a great phone.

In unrelated news, ATT announced that the Backflip shall have 2.1 before the Droid.

ATT CEO Randall Stephenson states " We know VZ has failed to deliver to it's most popular smartphone, we wish to make that fail epic. We'll be rolling out Pee Wee Herman commercials showing off the new system starting May 10th."

i cant wait for 2.1 either but if i never get it atleast i still have a great phone.

I like the Droid, too, but my phone is sluggish and unpredictable. I was hoping 2.1 might solve this, and if not I'll have to hack. But I really wanted to go the simple official OTA route. That's why I'm impatient about it. For me 2.1 isn't about bells and whistles, but making my phone behave the way I thought it would when I bought it.

Example: I'll start typing a phone number into the phone app. Nothing happens. Then 5 seconds later it catches up and spews out everything I had typed.

Same thing with the unlock pattern. Sometimes it doesn't respond, then all of a sudden tries to catch up all at once.

So for me 2.1 isn't an upgrade, it's (hopefully) a fix. Every day it's delayed is another day I'm irritated at my Droid.

I just keep perusing the web, looking for news. So far nothing new, besides that meaningless statement posted on Moto's Facebook page.

Right now, it appears that 2.1 is in limbo for whatever reason, and I think it is going to stay there for the foreseeable future. I figured we would get some news by week's end, we didn't. (The above referenced Facebook page doesn't count as "news") So, perhaps by Monday... or, by day's end. Who knows?

Mobile phone maker Motorola has updated the info on the Android 2.1 update for its high-end Motorola DROID smartphone once again, stating that the solution is still set to make an appearance in the near future. No exact release date for when the update becomes available has been unveiled, but the company reassured users that it was working hard on delivering it as soon as possible.
“We know you guys are anxiously awaiting the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. Ultimately, we want to ensure you have the best possible experience on your device; as a result, the rollout is taking longer than expected. Though we don't have the new deployment date to share just yet, we do promise we are working to get you updated information and will relay it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We appreciate it,” is what Motorola states on its Facebook page.

The owners of a DROID by Motorola on Verizon Wireless' airwaves have been promised the Android 2.1 quite a while ago, yet it seems that they still have to wait a little longer before it becomes available. Last week, the handset vendor reportedly started to deploy the new software solution to test users, but it halted the roll-out soon after and, even if Verizon announced that the update process would move forth as planned, it seems that there are delays.

One thing that is certain at the moment is that, even if the update is not here yet, Motorola is still committed to release it to its users. Some users of a Motorola Milestone, the name under which DROID is marketed outside the United States, already receive the new Android 2.1 update, which shows clearly that it might not be long before Verizon's customers taste it as well. However, until an official roll-out date is announced, we'll just have to sit back and wait for Motorola and Verizon to refine the software for deployment.

Motorola Talks DROID's Android 2.1 Update Again - Says it's still coming - Softpedia

Mobile phone maker Motorola has updated the info on the Android 2.1 update for its high-end Motorola DROID smartphone once again, stating that the solution is still set to make an appearance in the near future. No exact release date for when the update becomes available has been unveiled, but the company reassured users that it was working hard on delivering it as soon as possible.
“We know you guys are anxiously awaiting the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. Ultimately, we want to ensure you have the best possible experience on your device; as a result, the rollout is taking longer than expected. Though we don't have the new deployment date to share just yet, we do promise we are working to get you updated information and will relay it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. We appreciate it,” is what Motorola states on its Facebook page.

The owners of a DROID by Motorola on Verizon Wireless' airwaves have been promised the Android 2.1 quite a while ago, yet it seems that they still have to wait a little longer before it becomes available. Last week, the handset vendor reportedly started to deploy the new software solution to test users, but it halted the roll-out soon after and, even if Verizon announced that the update process would move forth as planned, it seems that there are delays.

One thing that is certain at the moment is that, even if the update is not here yet, Motorola is still committed to release it to its users. Some users of a Motorola Milestone, the name under which DROID is marketed outside the United States, already receive the new Android 2.1 update, which shows clearly that it might not be long before Verizon's customers taste it as well. However, until an official roll-out date is announced, we'll just have to sit back and wait for Motorola and Verizon to refine the software for deployment.

Motorola Talks DROID's Android 2.1 Update Again - Says it's still coming - Softpedia

He could have spared the wear and tear on his keyboard by just typing: "Motorola set to release 2.1 soon."

That's all they have been saying. So, the above is really nothing new either, it's a rehash of everything they have said for the last week or so.

Looks like it will be at least another week. Let's be realistic. What ever happened during the roll out on the 18th was bad enough to cause this kind of delay. It went out to the Milestone this past week, and there were no reported problems in the countries where it was released, and that brings me back to the supposition that something bad happened at Bitfone, bad enough that it has imposed a delay of a week so far, possibly even another week. If there was a bug in the update, I don't think it would have rolled out for the Milestone.

I would like to say that I am not going to read this forum anymore, but it's a hard habit to break. So, I will be in and out, probably posting, but generally lurking. I will be waiting until next week though, before I start speculating.

@ Tim

News of 2.1 finally being released and all the chatter that comes with it would bury the launch of the Devour for VZW.

As an analogy. In the film industry some films will not open around the time they know the big blockbuster will open. So they will move the release so that their film wont get lost in all the hoopla of the other film.

Right now the news on the tech blogs , among other things, is VZW releasing the Devour.

This is only for the sake of discussion I'm not saying this is the case but it would stand to reason.

Verizon used the release of the Droid to cover up the Storm 2 and the 5.0 update to Storm owners. They just slid it in during the Droid hype so no one would notice. Thankfully I saw the Droid before I pulled the trigger on the Storm 2!

@ Tim

News of 2.1 finally being released and all the chatter that comes with it would bury the launch of the Devour for VZW.

As an analogy. In the film industry some films will not open around the time they know the big blockbuster will open. So they will move the release so that their film wont get lost in all the hoopla of the other film.

Right now the news on the tech blogs , among other things, is VZW releasing the Devour.

This is only for the sake of discussion I'm not saying this is the case but it would stand to reason.

Verizon used the release of the Droid to cover up the Storm 2 and the 5.0 update to Storm owners. They just slid it in during the Droid hype so no one would notice. Thankfully I saw the Droid before I pulled the trigger on the Storm 2!

I wasn't as lucky and got the Storm 2 because I needed BB for work emails, but I liked the Droid so much that I bought one and use the BB for work email only!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back