2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Tim

News of 2.1 finally being released and all the chatter that comes with it would bury the launch of the Devour for VZW.

As an analogy. In the film industry some films will not open around the time they know the big blockbuster will open. So they will move the release so that their film wont get lost in all the hoopla of the other film.

Right now the news on the tech blogs , among other things, is VZW releasing the Devour.

This is only for the sake of discussion I'm not saying this is the case but it would stand to reason.

You can talk about blogs all you want but watch tv and there are still way more droid commercials than anything else on verizon

This is coming from someone who I'm pretty sure is a tester for Motorola on another forum (adrynalyne can confirm)
so, "I have heard" that the yet another delay in the OTA 2.1 is due to google themselves. no longer moto or vzw.seems they have found a few things that must be corrected like a small % in black screens and security measures.
so yet again ese53 was not signed off on and now will be built over again.or should i say it has been built over again.
awcrap.gif
"so i am told" lol lol
2thumbsup.gif

He also said there is a new build in the works now so I don't think we should expect anything soon.

This is coming from someone who I'm pretty sure is a tester for Motorola on another forum (adrynalyne can confirm)
so, "I have heard" that the yet another delay in the OTA 2.1 is due to google themselves. no longer moto or vzw.seems they have found a few things that must be corrected like a small % in black screens and security measures.
so yet again ese53 was not signed off on and now will be built over again.or should i say it has been built over again.
awcrap.gif
"so i am told" lol lol
2thumbsup.gif

He also said there is a new build in the works now so I don't think we should expect anything soon.
not buying that one...it doesn't make it to the 11th hour and then get pulled. The OTA was canceled before the first roll-outs were to begin.

2.1 was chambered and ready to go. What happened is the million dollar question.

Whoever posted that is speculating based on the rumor that it did in fact go out to 1,000 testers which I also don't believe.

Somebody somewhere would have posted something about receiving it or confirming it went out with proof. This was a highly anticipated release and yet NOTHING shows up on the webs about anyone receiving it.

Strangeness...........

Sorry for double posting but I just got what you were replying to lol. It totally doesn't make sense that it was about to roll out but it never got signed.

I have several questions. I'm not all that tech saavy but, is the difference between GMS and CDMA phones just how a device receives a signal? Or is it PC and MAC different? I'm not trying to start another "theory" but, is it possible 2.1 just won't work on CDMA phones? I still read the threads on 2.1 for the most part but, I stopped really caring when I saw that the Milestone got 2.1 before the Droid.

Rumor had it that the N1 was coming to VZW on 23 March. So far, it's a "no show". OUR OTA update is a "no show". Maybe it just can't run on a CDMA phone. I am soooooo tired of the "we can't say anything at this time" or the "soon" responses. That article that someone posted about the fragmentation of the Android OS had some really good points in it. any responses would really be appreciated. Thanks.

I may have got this wrong but I think it is a bit like a Linux build. The Kernel is the central bit and in this case that would be Android 2.1. Now just like a Linux kernal this is built tested and signed off. Then the various front ends are added by others such as Ubuntu, Slackware, Red Hat etc. If I am correct this would be like Moto, HTC, etc adding their customisations. So it is unlikely that Google called the Android 2.1 back but it could be that Moto has called it back because of problems with their front end.

One big difference between GSM and CDMA is GSM uses a sim card that holds all your info like contacts, number, etc. etc. But when you get down to it, yeah basically its just how the phone recieves signal. Its been a while but I used to work with cell phones and I want to say that GSM works more with satellites(towers as well but a majority is with satellites), but don't quote me on that.

One big difference between GSM and CDMA is GSM uses a sim card that holds all your info like contacts, number, etc. etc. But when you get down to it, yeah basically its just how the phone recieves signal. Its been a while but I used to work with cell phones and I want to say that GSM works more with satellites(towers as well but a majority is with satellites), but don't quote me on that.

Interesting. So, let's assume that the difference IS just how a device receives a signal. I'm not understanding why the Milestone can run 2.1 and they're having a problem running it on the Droid. Perhaps there IS more of a difference in GMS and CDMA. I know this, if they can't run it on the Droid, just say you can't run it. I'm not gonna throw my phone in the trash because it can't. I am really perplexed about this Droid/Milestone thing though. Thanks for responding as well as the poster before you.

awcrap.gif
"so i am told" lol lol
2thumbsup.gif

not buying that one...it doesn't make it to the 11th hour and then get pulled. The OTA was canceled before the first roll-outs were to begin.

2.1 was chambered and ready to go. What happened is the million dollar question.

Whoever posted that is speculating based on the rumor that it did in fact go out to 1,000 testers which I also don't believe.

Somebody somewhere would have posted something about receiving it or confirming it went out with proof. This was a highly anticipated release and yet NOTHING shows up on the webs about anyone receiving it.

Strangeness...........

I agree, not buying it either. I think it's just more speculation. Not sure about 1,000 testers... even if they were Verizon employees that received the update, someone would have posted something somewhere about receiving it. VZW could have "sworn them all to secrecy" but how are you going to completely silence 1,000 people? CK is right, we all know this is a highly anticipated release, so far nothing. Not a peep, either about people receiving it, or news as to when it's going to be available. We just keep hearing the "It's coming soon" routine, which, at this point, means nothing. No new videos on You Tube, nothing on Facebook. Nothing from the industry at all.

What continues to confuse me is the continued silence. They know 2.1 was widely anticipated, they know they have a whole lot of Droid owners out there who want to know what is going on. I cannot fathom why there hasn't been a press release, or something. Releasing the same tired old "It's coming soon" statement means little.

The only thing I can think of, is that there have been so many leaks from both Moto, and VZW employees, that they are holding any addition information close to the vest until they are ready to release.

I seem to be leaning on the theory that 2.1 has big time problems with CDMA.

The Verizon Nexus One launch has also been delayed which just indicates to me that there is a problem in general with 2.1 whether it is something on VZW's network or CDMA in general.

But just as the rest of this is ...just speculation.

Hopefully they will fix it soon.

You'd think they were releasing v. 2.5 (3 even lol) or something with all the time they've had lol.

Cereal Killer Said:
"not buying that one...it doesn't make it to the 11th hour and then get pulled. The OTA was canceled before the first roll-outs were to begin.

Strangeness........... "

I agree with your statement 100% CK. I do not believe they sent out that 1000 test updates like they are trying to say. Even if it went to employees there would be 1 of them that would have said something to someone. I agree that things were about to happen and for some reason it got stopped.

The delay is one thing, but putting outright lies out there upsets me.

Bugs in 2.1 is not the reason for this delay. We don't know what is going on.

I seem to be leaning on the theory that 2.1 has big time problems with CDMA.

The Verizon Nexus One launch has also been delayed which just indicates to me that there is a problem in general with 2.1 whether it is something on VZW's network or CDMA in general.

But just as the rest of this is ...just speculation.

Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I read a while back that the N1 has touch screen problems, and that had to be fixed before Verizon wanted Google to start selling the phone or is having the 3G issues like it does/did on TMO.

With all this talk about how 2.1 is not working with CDMA, remember that we have ROM's out there that is running ESE53 with no issues. Granted they do not have the radio update file, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back