2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some research is required on this.

Apple (I like the "crapple" play on their name... LOL) filing suit against Motorola, or taking action to stop the Droid update would have made news. Steve Jobs would have made it a point to make that public, I would think. Kind of like spitting in your enemy's face, and then crowing to his friends about it.

However, if it was pulled by Motorola for legal reasons, or a threatening "cease and desist" letter from Apple's lawyers, might explain the silence surrounding the update's delay, but I am not sold on it. From what I understand about the Apple v HTC lawsuit, it is so full of vagaries that it's going to take awhile to see if Apple even has a case. I think the lawsuit was a move by Apple, because Android threatens their market share, and they are trying to slow the entry of Android devices to the consumer market.

I don't know, the lawsuit is more speculation, and, if Apple wanted to go after Google, I think they would have. I will have to look up what can, and cannot be patented......

A quick visit to the U.S. Patent Office webiste United States Patent and Trademark Officereveals that there are 3 types of patents: Design, Utility, and Plant. After skimming through them, there is nothing in there that indicates a gesture, movement, or facial expression can be patented. Certainly the technology of using one's fingers to perform an action to activate, or perform a function is not patentable (If it was, the act of pushing a button would have been patented a long time ago) because "pinch zoom" is little more that a modified button push, or movement of a lever, or slide switch, when given some thought. The technology behind the pushing of a button can be patented (Vending machines, different types of machinery, power switches, etc) but not the action itself, (i.e. extending one's finger, or thumb in a forward motion)

Not sure what Apple's case is... not a legal type, so I can't comment with anything that approaches knowledge on what Apple is up to. I can only speculate....

Anyway, there you go, take it or leave it.

I woke up this morning and picked up my phone to find it on the screen that requires me to activate. I have no clue why my phone would reset itself, but I had to go through the whole 228 steps. I got all my texts twice during that time too. I thought maybe the update had been pushed but no, same old 2.0.1. Any ideas what might have happened?

The only way to get Motorola/Verizon to actually respond is to get this story into main stream tech media. That's the only pressure they would care about....we can speculate til we're blue in the face, but until millions see their confusion and hush hush nature we won't hear anything but rumors for probably quite some time. The media is probably the only entity that could uncover what's really going on.

With that said, is this 2.1 update a big enough deal? I could ask are these mishaps a bigger deal to the public than the Itablet? How does iphone competition drop the ball?

Just looking at it from another angle....

Hope it comes soon so we can all move on (flash?) :)

The only way to get Motorola/Verizon to actually respond is to get this story into main stream tech media. That's the only pressure they would care about....we can speculate til we're blue in the face, but until millions see their confusion and hush hush nature we won't hear anything but rumors for probably quite some time. The media is probably the only entity that could uncover what's really going on.

With that said, is this 2.1 update a big enough deal? I could ask are these mishaps a bigger deal to the public than the Itablet? How does iphone competition drop the ball?

Just looking at it from another angle....

Hope it comes soon so we can all move on (flash?) :)

Just for clarification, what is main stream tech media. Can you give me an example?

I don't know what bpad10 sees as mainstream tech media but I think Engadget or CNET is as big as it gets for tech media.

That would be my thinking. I just don't see them putting pressure though on somebody to push an update.

Too bad we don't have one of those consumer advocates like they have on the local news, you know? The guy that gets in Motorola/Verizons face and says "When exactly is this update going to be released?":icon_ lala:

Problem is if media were to go after it, it would be for bad press, not good. You really don't want that to happen.

I don't know what bpad10 sees as mainstream tech media but I think Engadget or CNET is as big as it gets for tech media.

That would be my thinking. I just don't see them putting pressure though on somebody to push an update.

Too bad we don't have one of those consumer advocates like they have on the local news, you know? The guy that gets in Motorola/Verizons face and says "When exactly is this update going to be released?":icon_ lala:

Maybe we should try using The Consumerist site to put some pressure on them. I've seen many people vent about things on there and get a response from the company. Although our request might be too nerdy for anyone to care about.

Maybe we should try using The Consumerist site to put some pressure on them. I've seen many people vent about things on there and get a response from the company. Although our request might be too nerdy for anyone to care about.

I actually think this is a great idea. How do we go about doing it? I've seen them more then once get answers and help people out.

@hookbill I'm not sure. They have an email address posted on the site which is: [email protected] and a phone number: 347-422-6695

I also found information to contact the Northeast executive customer service representative for Verizon. For those of you that live in the Northeast it could be worth bugging them for more information.

Monica D. Harper
NorthEast Area Executive Relations Verizon Wireless
240-568-2484
[email protected]

Yes they are.....all I'm trying to do is get people to think how we can get the answers we want anstead of sitting around constantly complaining (for which I've been a part of for the last 2 months).

Yes they are.....all I'm trying to do is get people to think how we can get the answers we want anstead of sitting around constantly complaining (for which I've been a part of for the last 2 months).
instead....not anstead.....sorry.....typing too quick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back