Motorola Droid Maintenance Release Prelude to Android 2.1

May I ask how we will know if we got the update? All numbers staying the same, so how will we know we received it? cuskit

Well, since it comes with a notification that I would imagine you have to respond to you should know.

so.....i am reading about the maintenance and stuff and I am confused ....lol when is 2.1 being implemented and when are we going to see it finally on the phone by the end of week or by the end of the month

I don't think anyone knows, or if they do are at liberty to say. I tried the update.zip though and looking at it through Astro, everything looks legit... I booted the original 2.0.1 zip afterwards to see if there would be any problem reverting and to see if I could make any kind of comparison... seemed to work all right. I think there's been a small increase in speed, nothing terribly noticeable, but maybe just a tad. I did notice that the corners of the eye in the bootanimation had changed... anyone else noticed this?

so.....i am reading about the maintenance and stuff and I am confused ....lol when is 2.1 being implemented and when are we going to see it finally on the phone by the end of week or by the end of the month

Who knows....nobody really knows the answer to that question man. Hopefully we see it within this week or within this month, but we might not...and the way its been so far isn't very promising to tell you the truth...

I don't think anyone knows, or if they do are at liberty to say. I tried the update.zip though and looking at it through Astro, everything looks legit... I booted the original 2.0.1 zip afterwards to see if there would be any problem reverting and to see if I could make any kind of comparison... seemed to work all right. I think there's been a small increase in speed, nothing terribly noticeable, but maybe just a tad. I did notice that the corners of the eye in the bootanimation had changed... anyone else noticed this?

The only reason I haven't installed the new update.zip from sholes is just because of the possibility that that update was not meant for everyone, for whatever reason...

The only reason I haven't installed the new update.zip from sholes is just because of the possibility that that update was not meant for everyone, for whatever reason...

Can't fault you for that...curiosity's always gotten the better of me. Lol. But I figured it was safe to assume that it was, in fact, a precursor to the 2.1 update and that it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get it done. You'd really think a 60+ MB would make some sort of noticeable change though... kinda makes all the talk of a two part update make some sort of sense. Lol.

Can't fault you for that...curiosity's always gotten the better of me. Lol. But I figured it was safe to assume that it was, in fact, a precursor to the 2.1 update and that it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get it done. You'd really think a 60+ MB would make some sort of noticeable change though... kinda makes all the talk of a two part update make some sort of sense. Lol.

I know, that is a huge file to not really do anything! I think I'm gonna give it another day, and if I haven't received the OTA then I'll manually install that file. But that's kinda what made me think it wasn't meant for everyone, because it seems they've quit pushing the file out to people ya know...I don't know though, you never know...but I gotta get some sleep...

This mysterious "update.zip" file certainly is getting a lot of pub for something that VZW hasnt even admitted exists.

Considering the fact that only a very few handsets got this file pushed to them during a very short window of time and the fact that ALL indicators from the file itself show it is ESD56 my belief is that somebody hit the wrong button by mistake.

This 60+MB file is nothing more than the full 2.01 installation ROM IMO.

Had this truly been a "maintenance" release it certainly would have gone out to a whole lot more handsets than it has and we'd have been able to establish some sort of pattern as to who recieved it and why. So far zero pattern. It's not location based. It's not purchase date based.. basically zero comonalities to be seen here.

Another fact is that the white paper for whatever the next release is still hasnt surfaced. Typically the wonderful people at the big blogs get their sources to share info at least 2-3 days in advance.. and so far, all the big boys have been quiet on this one.

Whatever 1/22 brings is still a mystery.
I'm hoping for 2.1 but wouldnt be at all surprised at this point if it gets pushed back due to the buggy nature of the currently released 2.1 on the N1.

Well as far as establishing a pattern for the OTAs, there wont be any pattern. The last OTA in December was completely random so I don't believe pattern has anything to do with it. But as far as everything else you mentioned (speeding wheels) I agree totally...unless their keeping quiet because its a big surprise :) but I don't know so im not gonna get too excited... :(

Did anyone read this?
DROID - Android 2.0.1

How can I get the latest Android 2.0.1 software?

Google has released new software for Android 2.0.1. For consumers who own a DROID by Motorola, this means you will receive a free over-the-air download that will automatically be pushed to your phone.

This download will enhance the user experience, with modifications that include an improvement to the camera autofocus capability, voice reception, and visual voice mail response time. You can see a more complete list below.

The advanced technology of the DROID means you will only have to accept the download to your phone for continued use and enjoyment of this feature packed Android phone. The request will repeat periodically until installation is completed. The update is being rolled out in a phased approach to groups of DROID owners over the next few days, so not all owners will receive it at the same time. You will not be able to “pull” the update via the DROID interface.

NOTE: Once you have received your notification, turning your DROID off and on will automatically launch the upgrade installation, even if you have selected the 30 minute delay.

The Droid by Motorola software version AP:ESD56/BP:C_01.3E.01P update includes numerous improvements:

• OS stability is improved.
  • Battery life is improved.
  • Camera auto focus functionality is improved, and time between shots is reduced.
  • Enhancements for three-way calling.
  • Audio for incoming calls is improved.
  • When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now remains on.
  • Bluetooth functionality is improved; background echo is eliminated.
  • Improved Bluetooth phone book transfer of contacts to in-vehicle Bluetooth solutions.
  • After closing a GPS application, the GPS icon will now automatically be removed from the notification panel.
  • Users can now receive SMS and MMS messages after an EMS message is received.
  • SMS and MMS may now be sent to seven-digit addresses.
  • Google® contact merging has been updated to accommodate seven-digit numbers.
  • Voice Mail notices now arrive instantaneously.
  • The corporate calendar widget user interface is updated.
  • New simplified touch and slide gesturing for unlocking the phone and answering calls.
  • Improved SMS/MMS messaging address functionality – it now recognizes parentheses in addresses.
  • Additional UI enhancements including changes to the Power Management widget.
  • There are also enhancements to other widgets, including the Facebook and picture widgets, which will require users to remove and reinstall the widget from the home screen.
Note: If you have an issue with your update, or have not received it you can contact Motorola, and request the update be pushed out to you again.

Back