[ROM] Lithium Mod - Source built awesomeness! Themes galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
... so I'm gonna try the ol' wipe 3 times (system/data/cache) ...

Does anybody know where this whole "I'm going to delete deleted data that has already been deleted" thing started?

I'm really curious as to where this meme actually originated and why (deleting everything once really is enough).

This is true(technically), deleting multiple times does about as much as doing a tribal dance around your droid prior to flashing it, which I do. I'm superstitious, sue me. :)

I've been around computers long enough to see some wacky things happen, especially when flashing or ghosting images. That's where the real problem lies I believe. You would think that if there was an error during the install it would stop and report it but who knows. Besides when you do a wipe the data isn't exactly gone its just flagged to be overwritten. Flashing/Imaging isn't an exact science its like baking you are bound to get some bad cookies every once in a while.

Does anybody know where this whole "I'm going to delete deleted data that has already been deleted" thing started?

I'm really curious as to where this meme actually originated and why (deleting everything once really is enough).

This is true(technically), deleting multiple times does about as much as doing a tribal dance around your droid prior to flashing it, which I do. I'm superstitious, sue me. :)

I've been around computers long enough to see some wacky things happen, especially when flashing or ghosting images. That's where the real problem lies I believe. You would think that if there was an error during the install it would stop and report it but who knows. Besides when you do a wipe the data isn't exactly gone its just flagged to be overwritten. Flashing/Imaging isn't an exact science its like baking you are bound to get some bad cookies every once in a while.

I wasn't trying to give you grief ;)

I'm just honestly curious as to where this actually came from and how this got started. I see this being preached religiously in some places, I've never done it, never seen a reason to, never had a problem and never heard anybody offer a plausible reason to do so, or evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) as to problems occurring after a single wipe that multiple wipes seemed to cure or prevent.

If it works for you, more power to you, and I do like your explanation as to why you do it.

It's funny, having bricked my phone and then having to re-load everything has helped it's performance. Before most of the battery was taken by trying to get a signal - now it's working much better. I also have features I didn't have before.

Much is to be said about the Rom also of course!

Don't know if its just me but I thought I would mention it to the ROM maker. Apps that have not yet updated kept fc'ing on me. Because I use those apps a great deal, I had to switch to UD 7.0 which has a selection in it's settings to basically trick the app into thinking you are not running 2.2 and it does not (at this point) seem to effect the apps that did not fc.

I wasn't trying to give you grief ;)

I'm just honestly curious as to where this actually came from and how this got started. I see this being preached religiously in some places, I've never done it, never seen a reason to, never had a problem and never heard anybody offer a plausible reason to do so, or evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) as to problems occurring after a single wipe that multiple wipes seemed to cure or prevent.

If it works for you, more power to you, and I do like your explanation as to why you do it.

None taken, and I must say I 100% agree with your sig. As a break/fix tech you tend to get forced to understand the "how" as quickly as possible and get back to the "why" as you have time. But it's the "why" that's going to help you from preventing the problem from happening again. I flashed the Strawberry Rom earlier today and while its really good its just not the same as that Red Glass :) I'm going to give RG another try. I hope we can get some response from the dev as to the version thats on the Lithium Mod, 1.1 or 1.2?

i have flashed several different roms from different developers and this lith rom runs very smooth on my droid, and cool too..i had just updated from kangerade so i just wanted to let jrummy know his hard work is much appreciated...

You need to download the market hack. You can do this in ROM manager if you just skip everything and just flash the market hack. It has been previously stated that you should just wait for the developer of your applications to update then because it might have some stability issues with the app. But JRummy has it covered.

Don't know if its just me but I thought I would mention it to the ROM maker. Apps that have not yet updated kept fc'ing on me. Because I use those apps a great deal, I had to switch to UD 7.0 which has a selection in it's settings to basically trick the app into thinking you are not running 2.2 and it does not (at this point) seem to effect the apps that did not fc.
See above post. Failed on the quote in Tapatalk :)

+1. :) I've never understood how formatting a Linux yaffs2 file system doesn't work the first time, and somehow does on 2x subsequent times. :)

I'm not going to claim knowledge of where it originated, but I know with PC's it's best to wipe your hard drives and system files more than once. The best I can figure is thinking of it like putting stuff in a blender. Say at 5 second spurts, only once and the fruit still kinda holds the same general shape, 2 more times and it starts to look like a smoothie. Wiping the system/data/ is similar to that in the old information on there isn't entirely destroyed, it's just scrambled and made unusable. But every so often there's a piece of old data that is intact and able to screw with your new data. (This is what I think it is, I could be wrong).

This is my favorite rom, I am using the Watermarked Theme with Lith Mod and I love it.

I use jrummy's kernal at 1 Mhz.

One issue I do have is that SetCpu seems to keep forgetting that I am running faster until I open it and tap the 1 mhz (even though it's set there).

I didn't know JRummy had put out any kernels? Obviously he's a ROM developer, but primarily I thought he was a themer.

Personally, I installed jdflg's Lithium Mod kernels (scroll to the bottom of the OP to see the latest ones) onto 3 Droids running LithiumMod, and they are completely flawless & stable. I'm very impreesed with it coming from a P3Droid one.. Not that it wasn't stable, but took a lot of tricky setup with SetCPU, and trying different ones. This jdflg one just WORKED. :) 1200MHz at that. :)

Last edited:
Feature request

JRummy,

I have a feature request that I'm wondering if you and your team would consider implementing on a future build of Lithium Mod.

I would like to see the option to turn OFF the boot animation altogether and turn on verbose boot like on a normal Linux box. It looks like there might need to be some option for CONFIG_VT enabled in the kernel or something. And then there would be some other mods to make in other places like init.rc or maybe some entry in the bootloader to change the default console=null parameter to tty-whatever it would need to be.

Here is some thread discussing a little about it:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=646279&page=3

It has 3 pages.

I'm currently using one of the new jdlfg kernels now with great success, so it would be slick if you guys could make the whole package so it could have this option to simply see it verbose boot.

If you guys got it working, I would give you $100 bucks or so for donation. I love Lithium Mod on my phone. It is so smooth and fast. It does tend to take me a little patience to iron everything out so it runs just right in the end, but is much worth the time it takes to get it there. I'm talking about on my end just finishing off the details with all the apps and final stuff. Nothing wrong with your ROM though. Your ROM is pretty refined right out of the box. But getting LP launcher to interact nice and smooth can be challenging at times.

Anyhow, see what you guys can do and let me know if you'd want to tackle this feature request. I know there'd be others who'd want this too.

Last edited:
How do I get rid of notification sounds and game audio sounds from my music player???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back