Often imitated, never duplicated! Focused 1.8.6

On the subject of backing up and contacts...

I successfully backed up and restored my contacts, dialer history, account info, and texts using Titanium. Unfortunately, I had used the "all user apps and system data" option, which includes backups from everything to stock 2.1 to FlyX 0.1 to RubiX 1.0 to now. There are several entries in my Titanium, and I have no idea in which entry the data that Focused 1.6 (or 1.8.6) stores it since I backup and restore all of them each time. I know that has potential implications for creating redundant data and harmful effects to the ROM due to including potentially-blurred data/apps in a non-blurred OS.

In which data set does Focused 1.6 and 1.8.6 save those? I'm guessing "Accounts" and "Contacts Storage 2.2" since they're in green...

I'm still on 1.6 btw :) and ShootMe screen shot isn't cooperating with the Insert function or I'd include one. Yes, I do have my contacts backed up on Google and Corporate Sync.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I updated to the new rubix 1.8.6

I need my backup assistant to so i can recover all of my contacts.

flashed this last night, really like it so far

is there anyway I can get my contacts back without going to the verizon store? lol

There IS a way to get backup assistant to work in Focused, BUT there are other issues that arise from it. Trust me, and avoid the headache, and just import them over from the MyVerizon site and into Google Contacts.
Info here:
Migrating contacts from "Phone" (BackUp Assistant), to Google Contacts

People your on a google phone I suggest you use it as such go Into your phone app open up the menu and press import/export and export them to your card now any rom has your contacts

I updated to the new rubix 1.8.6

I need my backup assistant to so i can recover all of my contacts.

flashed this last night, really like it so far

is there anyway I can get my contacts back without going to the verizon store? lol

There IS a way to get backup assistant to work in Focused, BUT there are other issues that arise from it. Trust me, and avoid the headache, and just import them over from the MyVerizon site and into Google Contacts.
Info here:

People your on a google phone I suggest you use it as such go Into your phone app open up the menu and press import/export and export them to your card now any rom has your contacts

Yeah, that's the easiest way and I've done that :) I just like to roll it into Titanium so I can bring everything back after a wipe all in one step.

Info here:

Yeah, that's the easiest way and I've done that :) I just like to roll it into Titanium so I can bring everything back after a wipe all in one step.

Perhaps asking a question that's very specific to titanium backup in one of the help or trouble threads would be more helpful? Or maybe titanium devs have their own thread/help/? for something like this?

My recommendation is simple.. don't ever use titanium if you don't have to...
I've seen it cause so many issues, usually because it restores part of /system, or because it restored apps, and they disagreed with the data or cache that existed for them alredy (*usually* easy data/cache wipe for the app fixes).. duplicate apps, conflicts, .. I'm not going any further...
Lots of people LOVE titanium, but I guess I just don't understand what the obsession is... I mean, it's like a coprophilia fetish or something.. it's disgusting, but some people are just into that I guess... :S
Ok.. bad analogy.. but .. you know what I mean...
Sorry for picking your post specifically to go off on... It's not you, or what you're trying to do, it's the general titanium fetish that I see going around... that I just can't get into... bleh

TLDR;
You stated that you have your contacts syncing via corp.sync, and google sync.. so... what's the point?

Apologize - found the answer to my question via "Search Thread". Not a big forums user, noticed it after I posted.

Last edited:
Apologize - found the answer to my question via "Search Thread". Not a big forums user, noticed it after I posted.

<3

ten chars.
Edit: Sorry, had to. Someone used the "Search Thread" option at the top.. I'm still just in awe! You sir (or madam, as the case may be), while not a big forums user, are a god among forums users!

Last edited:

Perhaps asking a question that's very specific to titanium backup in one of the help or trouble threads would be more helpful? Or maybe titanium devs have their own thread/help/? for something like this?

I've seen it cause so many issues, usually because it restores part of /system, or because it restored apps, and they disagreed with the data or cache that existed for them alredy (*usually* easy data/cache wipe for the app fixes).. duplicate apps, conflicts, .. I'm not going any further...
Lots of people LOVE titanium, but I guess I just don't understand what the obsession is... I mean, it's like a coprophilia fetish or something.. it's disgusting, but some people are just into that I guess... :S
Sorry for picking your post specifically to go off on... It's not you, or what you're trying to do, it's the general titanium fetish that I see going around... that I just can't get into... bleh

TLDR;
You stated that you have your contacts syncing via corp.sync, and google sync.. so... what's the point?

I use Titanium to keep my apps backed up. I don't backup system data, well, I do keep my wifi information backed so I don't have to re-enter it everytime I flash, but that's it. Since it's really the only way I know, and I flash a different ROM every week and need to restore my apps in a timely manner, what is a better way? Not trying to start a flame war, I need to learn all I can and I've only had an Android phone for less than 6 months.

TLDR;

I use Titanium to keep my apps backed up. I don't backup system data, well, I do keep my wifi information backed so I don't have to re-enter it everytime I flash, but that's it. Since it's really the only way I know, and I flash a different ROM every week and need to restore my apps in a timely manner, what is a better way? Not trying to start a flame war, I need to learn all I can and I've only had an Android phone for less than 6 months.

Nah, awesome question...
The FASTEST way.. is titanium backup.
The cleanest way.. is google data sync, and appbrain.

If after flashing a ROM, you connect to WiFi, and then open market, and wait 15-20 minutes (or more if you have a ton of huge apps)... your apps will reinstall through the market, and at some point (if not interrupted by a reboot, or changes to network connections), you'll get a notification that says something like "96 of 96 applications restored".. or .. whatever. The nice thing about this, is the applications are not RESTORED, they are CLEANLY downloaded and re-installed via the market in the background.
I then re-sync with Appbrain, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Contacts are all sync'd with Google Contacts (google account sync).

Here's the tricky part... you lose your app data. If you had a high score in a game, or had a very time consuming setup of applications, then you lose that.

For me, I have to put logins into a few apps, re-arrange icons on my home screen, and configure several apps again...OH, and configure 2 or 3 widgets.
My total time spent is about 15-20 minutes configuring apps after switching ROMs.

Total stuff lost by not restoring via titanium:
--Scores and progress in games (well, some games, you can back up angry birds, etc.)
--Text Messages.
--App configuration.

Did I miss anything?

OH, and was previously stated as a concern.. wifi settings.
Don't know how or why.. but unless I factory reset, somehow my phone retains it's memory of my home wifi... which is a HIDDEN SSID... haven't figured that one out.. but meh, it works, so no need for backup there either. :S

I have titanium AND mybackup installed.. I just don't use them. I nandroid after a clean install, then again once I get my stuff set up how I like it.. I think I have like 10 nandroids all saved for testing old versions, or going back, or whatever.... but I probably will only realistically use one or two of them...
HUGE fan of nandroid, not so much of backup apps... (as most can guess...)

Did I miss anything that doesn't get backed up or easily restored?

I mean, to give you an idea... I have a TON of apps.. I usually test apps for myself and others, and sometimes I'm an app whore (which is why you almost never see me chiming in regarding performance stuff.. My performance is likely made abyssmal due to the number of apps I have alone. :S Appbrain says I have 108 apps.. but there are a couple I reinstall from SDCard, as they are no longer on the market... :p The one time I used titanium to restore my apps, it was a HUGE pain the rear.. AND caused issues... after that, I just let Google's Data Sync do it's thing, and life's been good. :p

TLDR;

Nah, awesome question...
The FASTEST way.. is titanium backup.
The cleanest way.. is google data sync, and appbrain.

If after flashing a ROM, you connect to WiFi, and then open market, and wait 15-20 minutes (or more if you have a ton of huge apps)... your apps will reinstall through the market, and at some point (if not interrupted by a reboot, or changes to network connections), you'll get a notification that says something like "96 of 96 applications restored".. or .. whatever. The nice thing about this, is the applications are not RESTORED, they are CLEANLY downloaded and re-installed via the market in the background.
I then re-sync with Appbrain, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Contacts are all sync'd with Google Contacts (google account sync).

Here's the tricky part... you lose your app data. If you had a high score in a game, or had a very time consuming setup of applications, then you lose that.

For me, I have to put logins into a few apps, re-arrange icons on my home screen, and configure several apps again...OH, and configure 2 or 3 widgets.
My total time spent is about 15-20 minutes configuring apps after switching ROMs.

Total stuff lost by not restoring via titanium:
--Scores and progress in games (well, some games, you can back up angry birds, etc.)
--Text Messages.
--App configuration.

Did I miss anything?

OH, and was previously stated as a concern.. wifi settings.
Don't know how or why.. but unless I factory reset, somehow my phone retains it's memory of my home wifi... which is a HIDDEN SSID... haven't figured that one out.. but meh, it works, so no need for backup there either. :S

I have titanium AND mybackup installed.. I just don't use them. I nandroid after a clean install, then again once I get my stuff set up how I like it.. I think I have like 10 nandroids all saved for testing old versions, or going back, or whatever.... but I probably will only realistically use one or two of them...
HUGE fan of nandroid, not so much of backup apps... (as most can guess...)

Did I miss anything that doesn't get backed up or easily restored?

I mean, to give you an idea... I have a TON of apps.. I usually test apps for myself and others, and sometimes I'm an app whore (which is why you almost never see me chiming in regarding performance stuff.. My performance is likely made abyssmal due to the number of apps I have alone. :S Appbrain says I have 108 apps.. but there are a couple I reinstall from SDCard, as they are no longer on the market... :p The one time I used titanium to restore my apps, it was a HUGE pain the rear.. AND caused issues... after that, I just let Google's Data Sync do it's thing, and life's been good. :p

Interesting to hear how others change ROMs. I will have to try your method next time, but I'm a little confused. I've never had the market automatically install missing apps, even paid ones, for me. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.
My strategy is that I have Titanium make backups of apps every night at 2:00 am. Prior to flashing a new ROM, if I've installed something that day or done updates, I'll do a batch backup. Then, when I flash, I go to the market, it kicks me back to add an account, I enter my Google info, go back into the market and download Astro (I know, most people use Root Explorer) because lot's of ROMs don't include a way to browse the sd card, go to the sd card where I have a copy of Titanium and install it after the nag screen of unknown sources, then restore all my apps, which at most need only a few recent updates. It seems I always have to re-enter my wifi settings for the two points I use the most, so I've started backing them up. After the app restore, I hit the home button, set launcher pro as the default, re-enter my login info for LP facebook and twitter widgets, set wallpaper, redo a few widgets that LP doesn't restore, do the *228 option 1 to get the phone working, make a run through the settings menus and I'm pretty much good to go. I'm probably close to your 15-20 minute range, maybe a tad longer.

Ok not to change the topic....i did download alogcat and set the settings as instructed. Sure enough about 30 min ago i was driving home and it crashed. I checked alogcat after it rebooted......it seems to delete the log after restart. I can't tell what error was thrown out......am i doing something wrong?

Reserved for themes

All themes from 1.6 will work, but I'm going to post links here. Patience, please :)

BGill55 and Team Incognito's Incognito Red 3.2
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bgill55/90206-incognito-color-series-rubix-1-6-a.html

Sephtin's Black Bar Mod
sephtin’s BlackBar mod for Focused 1.8.6 &mdash; sephtin.com

Juicemane's Themes!
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/95545-theme-black-juice-rubix-focused-1-6-final.html

How is the best way to add one of these themes?

Interesting to hear how others change ROMs. I will have to try your method next time, but I'm a little confused. I've never had the market automatically install missing apps, even paid ones, for me. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.
My strategy is that I have Titanium make backups of apps every night at 2:00 am. Prior to flashing a new ROM, if I've installed something that day or done updates, I'll do a batch backup. Then, when I flash, I go to the market, it kicks me back to add an account, I enter my Google info, go back into the market and download Astro (I know, most people use Root Explorer) because lot's of ROMs don't include a way to browse the sd card, go to the sd card where I have a copy of Titanium and install it after the nag screen of unknown sources, then restore all my apps, which at most need only a few recent updates. It seems I always have to re-enter my wifi settings for the two points I use the most, so I've started backing them up. After the app restore, I hit the home button, set launcher pro as the default, re-enter my login info for LP facebook and twitter widgets, set wallpaper, redo a few widgets that LP doesn't restore, do the *228 option 1 to get the phone working, make a run through the settings menus and I'm pretty much good to go. I'm probably close to your 15-20 minute range, maybe a tad longer.

To make sure Google Data Sync is working.. make sure you put in your google credentials during setup, and make sure the last check option is checked (let google back up whatever..."
Because it's doing it's thing in the background... the only way I know of to verify it's working, is after you've connected to WiFi (makes the dl's go faster), and then open the market.. search for one of the apps that you had installed. If Google Data Sync is doing it's thing, it should say downloading.. basically look like the market is hung up... (It's not, it's just in queue, along with all of hte other apps)... And I believe if you open up the app drawer, and are patient, you'll start seeing your apps filling in fairly quickly...

The other thing I don't trust about titanium.. is how it handles the ID given to the app.
When an application is installed, it's given a UserID/GroupID. (You can see this if you go to /data/data in Root explorer, long press on one of the folders there and select properties.. The app will have permissions for a userid as in "alei.switchpro" has a user listed as "app_121".. so 121 is what I'm referring to.

So... what happens if you backup your stuff.. then when you reinstall next time, an app gets installed before you do your restore, or ...
Anyway, I can easily see there being confusion by apps being restored, rather than installing cleanly, and letting android do what it's supposed to do...
I've heard some people complaining of horribly laggy app drawer opening times, and I just wonder... if restoring apps might be contributing to little things like this... *shrug* (NOT confirmed.. but suspicious)...

I've said it in the past.. I'm paranoid about some stuff... but usually only things I don't yet understand.. ya know?

(BTW, if someone can direct me to a post/thread/anything regarding how this is handled in android.... I would LOVE to better understand the installation mechanism for apps..
As an example of why... Iif I could script to install a .apk via a shell script, it would make life easier to include certain market based applications along with a ROM or patch, or update for example.. Currently, putting apps in /system/app makes them difficult to upgrade via market... as an example.)

Edit: Sorry for letting this conversation get so far off topic! :S

Sorry I opened such a can of worms! I guess I'll just try one-by-one and see which ones this ROM uses.

I know the myriad of warnings posted against restoring system data across roms, and I did it accidentally once. Fortunately my DX didn't a splode.

Like I said, I just like Titanium for all-in-one replacement and because I like to keep my texts, etc. I'm not trying to fly up in the face of a dev or anything. Sorry for derailing the thread :(

What are the consequences of 'cell stand by' always being high? And what could be causing it?

Sent from my DROIDX

I keep hearing people talk about the Sinful series theme for RubiX, but i cant find them anywhere. i know there in beta but i would love to try them. Can anyone send them to me, or guide me to them?

Back