Motorola Droid Maintenance Release Prelude to Android 2.1

Ive downloaded the patch that seemed to do nothing and I'm inspecting it now. I never received the update on my phone, I'm not blocking OTA and I am running 2.0.1 .. The first thing I noticed is that both the linux boot loader and the motorola boot loader get flashed with this update, along with another partition which I haven't seen before called cdt:

Code:
assert(package_extract_file("mbm.bin", "/tmp/mbm.img"),
       write_raw_image("/tmp/mbm.img", "mbm"),
       delete("/tmp/mbm.img"));
assert(package_extract_file("lbl", "/tmp/lbl.img"),
       write_raw_image("/tmp/lbl.img", "lbl"),
       delete("/tmp/lbl.img"));
assert(package_extract_file("cdt.bin", "/tmp/cdt.img"),
       write_raw_image("/tmp/cdt.img", "cdt"),
       delete("/tmp/cdt.img"));

After extracting a 2.0.1 system image I have and the update and running md5 sums on everything, I can say that the system directory between the 2, aside from missing some files in the new update, has 100% identical files. As for the other images in the new update, I haven't checked, but I'd gamble that there isn't any change there either.

I just extracted the 2 boot.img files, they are the same as well. I'm not going to bother with any more than that.

I just extracted the 2 boot.img files, they are the same as well. I'm not going to bother with any more than that.
it makes me wonder what that push really was. maybe just a hiccup?

this seems to indicate that 56 is not the latest build, while other threads imply it is.

i never got this maintainance update. should I be concerned? does the fact that I did the 2.01 update manually mean anything?

okay looks like my question has been answered

although I would like to hear from one person that manually updated to 2.01 that got the maintainance update automatically

one

I've been catching rumors that google is going to allow apps to be saved onto the s.d. card. Does anyone know if that will be possible with the 2.1 update or will that be in a mantinence update later after 2.1?
In my opinion google and verizon are really dropping the ball on this one. To me I'm not as worried about getting a 2.1 update so I can have more gadgets (from nexus one). I want to put my apps on the card so that I can clear up some memory. I don't want to root my phone just so I can get "appstosd." Google should want us to have more memory space so that we can download more apps and keep the app store numbers growing.
I understand that they originally didn't want us to save the apps to the sd cards for security reasons (hacking). They should of given us more memory to work with from the start. 256mb is not enough.

I believe that was answered during the Nexus One reveal earlier this month. They did say they were going to allow for apps to be saved to the SD card, but I think it was kind of blurry how, if it was going to be a part of 2.1, or something else that will come down the road....

I've talked to vw employees that say they are down to about 30.71 mb of internal phone storage left. I myself find that I can have 70. mb of memory one day and be down to 40 mb the next. It all depends on what apps I'm checking out at the time. My biggest phobia with my moto droid is bricking it.
Hey Administrator. Is there a thread where people can talk about available memory left in the phones? :motdroidhoriz:
icon5.gif

No update January 22nd fail......

How is it a fail?

When did Verizon publicly promise anything for January 22nd?

Aside from a leaked internal document from last year...and a few rumors here and there...there was nothing else promising you anything on the 22nd.

A fail would have been Verizon announcing via press release that the OTA to 2.1 was starting on the 22nd and providing support documents on their website like they did for 2.01...and then nothing happening on the 22nd.

Back