Motorola Droid Maintenance Release Prelude to Android 2.1

I know my brother isn't BSing me about getting an OTA update, but as I said, his ESD is still 56. His phone came with 2.01 on it, so it couldn't have been that update.
Whatever he did get seems to have totally broken his YouTube app and any viewing of YouTube all-together.
A week ago Friday my phone started rebooting. I got the phone week after the Droid was released and it was fine until last weekend. If I was using any apps it was ok but if I hit the power/"screen lock" button it would reboot. If was on the desktop and it timed out it would reboot instead of locking the screen. 100% of the time if I tried to play a YouTube video the screen would come up the loading icon would do a 3/4 revolution and then the screen would lock. Trying to replay videos I took, using the camera, also rebooted the phone. After a few seconds of this it would reboot again. The only way to power down and stop the reboot cycle was to pull the battery but if I fired up the phone I was back to the reboot cycle again. 15 seconds of a phone call was the best I could do before it would reboot too. I uninstalled recent apps, called Verizon and did a factory reset. It took 3 attempts but we finally got to reprogram the phone by dialing *228 with the tech on the other end of the land line. This got me to the Android icon, to set up my phone, but every time I pushed it the phone rebooted. I brought it to a nearby store and upon seeing the same they promptly replaced my phone. My wallpaper and almost all the apps I had downloaded were still there so they must have been stored on the SD card. I had to resynch Gmail and redownload a couple of missing apps. Aside from the recreating my desktop layouts I was back up and running in minutes...pretty painless. Even my wireless passwords were saved....which freaked me at at first:)

Anyways...seeing your post on videos being unplayable prompted me to post this. Neither I nor Verizon knows what caused my phone to fail. I also never rooted but did manually apply the Dec update. All is well now that I have my "like-new certified" replacement phone.

I was one of the people who received the 2.01 re-issue. I can confirm there was no actual version change, and agree that the package size most likely had to do with receiving a full 2.01 ROM. I CAN'T confirm whether the update ACTUALLY enabled updating of the Facebook app in the market, since I hadn't tried installing FB from the market in the week prior to the update. It's very plausible that FB download may have been enabled separately, and any correlation was only purely a coincidence of us inquiring minds going back and trying to 'identify' changes in the mystery 2.01 redux.

Regarding recent system instability, I'd recommend taking a HARD look at pulling the plug on Dolphin 2.0 or reverting to 1.X. I've been noticing a lot of system instability with this latest version, not to mention the fact that this browser is now the epitome of bloatware and a resource hog. It's quite obvious MGeek had his head in the sand ignoring user requests for simple improvements/bug fixes. Instead the dev ran off to completely revamp the UI for the worse, creating lots of new bugs in the process and ruining my broswer experience on Android.

Gah, just give me 2.1 so I can root and enable pinch zoom on the native browser. This is the kind of mindless crap that's going to stunt Android's growth as a platform.

/End Rant

Regarding recent system instability, I'd recommend taking a HARD look at pulling the plug on Dolphin 2.0 or reverting to 1.X. I've been noticing a lot of system instability with this latest version, not to mention the fact that this browser is now the epitome of bloatware and a resource hog. It's quite obvious MGeek had his head in the sand ignoring user requests for simple improvements/bug fixes. Instead the dev ran off to completely revamp the UI for the worse, creating lots of new bugs in the process and ruining my broswer experience on Android.

Gah, just give me 2.1 so I can root and enable pinch zoom on the native browser. This is the kind of mindless crap that's going to stunt Android's growth as a platform.

/End Rant

After reading this I did give it a hard look. And I did uninstall Dolphin. I really enjoyed that program, but over 10 meg is pretty darn large for just a browser. It doesn't even have a side scroll bar showing where you are at in the wepage as you scroll down. For a 10 meg browser you would think that would be included. Also can't stop a page from loading if you clicked it by accident. To pull open gestures to do something that should be easy is just too much. I feel bad, but away it goes.

Xscope is only 300k and works very well. It also has a much easier zoom that can be done with one finger. Very simple...

/End Rant

After reading this I did give it a hard look. And I did uninstall Dolphin. I really enjoyed that program, but over 10 meg is pretty darn large for just a browser. It doesn't even have a side scroll bar showing where you are at in the wepage as you scroll down. For a 10 meg browser you would think that would be included. Also can't stop a page from loading if you clicked it by accident. To pull open gestures to do something that should be easy is just too much. I feel bad, but away it goes.

Xscope is only 300k and works very well. It also has a much easier zoom that can be done with one finger. Very simple...
Does Xscope download YouTube videos?
The YouTube app wont continue to load/buffer when you pause and Verizon's 3G is so slow a HQ video wont load fast enough to actually watch it. With Dolphin I can just click the video and download the HQ version to the SD card.
This is the main/only reason I even use Dolphin honestly. If they'd just fix the YouTube app and make it continue to load/buffer while paused, I'd have no use for Dolphin.

Does Xscope download YouTube videos?
The YouTube app wont continue to load/buffer when you pause and Verizon's 3G is so slow a HQ video wont load fast enough to actually watch it. With Dolphin I can just click the video and download the HQ version to the SD card.
This is the main/only reason I even use Dolphin honestly. If they'd just fix the YouTube app and make it continue to load/buffer while paused, I'd have no use for Dolphin.

It has a Youtube link and I tried it, but I think it plays the videos in the Droids player.

so let me get this straight, the supposedly OTA update that was suppose to happen last week was a up-to-base update for those that dont have 2.0.1? Is that right? and for us other droid-users that didnt get the update are fine and just waiting for 2.1 to be released? Cause i read that "that update" was suppose to be the stepping stone to update to 2.1. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just as confused about this whole update thing

so let me get this straight, the supposedly OTA update that was suppose to happen last week was a up-to-base update for those that dont have 2.0.1? Is that right? and for us other droid-users that didnt get the update are fine and just waiting for 2.1 to be released? Cause i read that "that update" was suppose to be the stepping stone to update to 2.1. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just as confused about this whole update thing
The "update that was supposed to happen on the 22nd" was never fact - it was a myriad of rumors, speculation, and some real leaked info thrown in.

All that is certain is that we are currently at 2.0.1 and supposed to get 2.1 in the near future. And Adobe is supposed to be releasing flash support as well (this isn't related to the 2.1 OS, but it is due out soon too).

Esd59?

I have not as of yet received the supposed update maintenance release (the prelude to 2.1) on my droid 2.0.1. I currently have build number ESD56. Has anyone received the expected prelude ESD59?

I got my droid about 3 days ago and after it was on for about 2 1/2 hrs i got the update to ESD56 so nothing for the ESD59...hmmm....

anybody got the maintenance upgrade yet?

There is no maintenance upgrade. This information that was passed on to us was false. Both Verizon and Motorola said this whole thing was fabricated. If in fact there were a few people that got an ota it was a mistake and had nothing to do with anything.

There is nobody that has inside information regarding the release of 2.1. Everything that gets passed around is simply rumor. If there would have been an update on the 22nd all those that say they have inside info would have been put on a pedestal.

2.1 will not be released until Motorola and Verizon announces that it is coming. Until then there is no reason to be excited. Or if you want to make up a date go ahead, and you will be as accurate as the rest.

anybody got the maintenance upgrade yet?

There is no maintenance upgrade. This information that was passed on to us was false. Both Verizon and Motorola said this whole thing was fabricated. If in fact there were a few people that got an ota it was a mistake and had nothing to do with anything.

There is nobody that has inside information regarding the release of 2.1. Everything that gets passed around is simply rumor. If there would have been an update on the 22nd all those that say they have inside info would have been put on a pedestal.

2.1 will not be released until Motorola and Verizon announces that it is coming. Until then there is no reason to be excited. Or if you want to make up a date go ahead, and you will be as accurate as the rest.
Yeah, ditto.

And the few people that actually do have inside info are certainly not posting - they have NDA's and whatnot. But there are definately people that have inside information - like bill over at HoFo. He won't say anything though he does mention other HoFo users who post reliable info, and based on that it looks like a mid Feb time period for 2.1. They also say that there isn't much difference except for a little eye candy (and the voice to text on the keyboard). But we knew all that already since many of us already have all the "eye candy" because it has been ported over from the Nexus. :D

Back