Motorola Droid Maintenance Release Prelude to Android 2.1

Really now? I'm pretty sure that the guys over at adobe have said that flash will be coming to our phone in the near future and that there has been an actual demo on an android phone. Check another thread. I don't know where your philosophy is coming from.

Yes, the facts you just pointed out were in fact two of the reasons I listed (and which you obviously didn't read) about why I believe the project has been dropped. To put it all differently, Adobe wouldn't take this long to release something that looked pretty good seven months ago.

tom
There is no way that Verizon has any say or significant influence in whether or not Adobe releases flash for the Android OS.

WHAT?!?!?!?!? Why would they do that? Why can't we have it before then? They basically set a false release date, and then go back on it. Its one month before the Eris with 2.1. AND THATS FREE. If there getting it a month after for free like what the heck motorola... im furious!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure if you are joking or you are serious.
But if you are serious, you have been misinformed. There was never a release date for 2.1 on the Droid.

What I'm trying to say is why aren't they giving us a release date.that'd the least they can do
Welcome to Verizon. They never, ever give a release date for anything. This is quite normal.

Why would adobe drop the only real chance they have to push flash to a mobile platform? Especially since it seems that apple may not cooperate. Yes it might be on verizons' end but still that is quite a dumb move for them to make considering the step it would be over at&t and the Iphone. Dont you think?

Adobe has no choice, they can't do it if Verizon doesn't let them.

If Verizon thinks their network can't handle the demand, then they are very smart to kill it, without saying anything. People will keep buying droids on previous promises and future hopes, and Verizon never has to deal with a network that starts to fall apart and look as bad as AT&T.

tom

There is no way that Verizon has any say or significant influence in whether or not Adobe releases flash for the Android OS.

For normal apps, this is largely true. But normal apps are written in Java (which is slow), and depend on the operating system's compiled libraries (which are fast) to make everything work.

But to bring Flash to Android, it won't really cut it as a Java App. They'll need additional library support added to the operating system to get the speed they need from Flash.

Verizon controls the final versions of Android that get installed, and so they have complete control over whether or not the Droid has the internal support that Flash will need.

tom

For normal apps, this is largely true. But normal apps are written in Java (which is slow), and depend on the operating system's compiled libraries (which are fast) to make everything work.

But to bring Flash to Android, it won't really cut it as a Java App. They'll need additional library support added to the operating system to get the speed they need from Flash.

Verizon controls the final versions of Android that get installed, and so they have complete control over whether or not the Droid has the internal support that Flash will need.

tom
I see where you are coming from. But flash is really the next big step in mobile technology and I think that verizon does have the network to support it. That is just my opinion I really dont know what it takes. But I think that if any network would want to take it on it should be verizon. Considering the openness they have had with android compared to some of the other phones that they have I think it will happen. But once again just my opinion.

I don't understand why you think it can't handle it... this is such a pointless discussion, youtube works on all the droids, and video even worked on my env touch... flash shouldn't offer much more of a challenge than that

tom
Of course, I understand that.
But what about what I said? I was talking about the Android OS, not the Droid in particular.

Why can't Adobe release flash for Android? Verizon has nothing to do with Android or Adobe. Or am I missing something?

I don't understand why you think it can't handle it... this is such a pointless discussion, youtube works on all the droids, and video even worked on my env touch... flash shouldn't offer much more of a challenge than that

1000 people all spending 15 minutes a day watching youtube videos is a lot different than those same 1000 people spending two hours a day watching their favorite TV shows on hulu.

tom

1000 people all spending 15 minutes a day watching youtube videos is a lot different than those same 1000 people spending two hours a day watching their favorite TV shows on hulu.

tom

I agree, but there are plenty of android apps that let you watch videos, and I can't speak for everyone but I've spent a lot more than 15 minutes (though not per day) like the tv.com(which has full eps, though some you need wi-fi for) or something about how to videos. And not everybody would be using the network, we've got wi-fi and more and more there are wireless hot spots opening up.

Of course, I understand that.
But what about what I said? I was talking about the Android OS, not the Droid in particular.

Why can't Adobe release flash for Android? Verizon has nothing to do with Android or Adobe. Or am I missing something?

Adobe doesn't distribute Flash as source code, just binaries. And it's my understanding that phone hardware is different enough that they'd need to release a different package for each supported phone. The only way they could release a generic Flash for all Android is if I'm wrong, and they can come up with an app that works efficiently across multiple processor types and display sizes and audio configurations.

Let me clarify that I can certainly be wrong. Flash could show up tomorrow. But I've been around for a while, and I've seen vaporware promises many times before, and I'm telling you that this feels a lot more like a vaporware promise than an actual product.

I actually hope I'm wrong.

tom

I still haven't received the update, any word of how long I have to wait to get it?

Hasn't it been made clear in this thread that there is NO maintenance update. You'll be waiting a long time...since it doesn't exist.

If you're operating Android 2.01, the next update you will see will be Android 2.10.

The only way they could release a generic Flash for all Android is if I'm wrong, and they can come up with an app that works efficiently across multiple processor types and display sizes and audio configurations.
So what am I missing here? Why is this any different than flash on a pc?

Even if it is more device based, why couldn't we simply use the flash for Milestone, for example?

So what am I missing here? Why is this any different than flash on a pc?

Even if it is more device based, why couldn't we simply use the flash for Milestone, for example?

PC architecture is way more standard than phone architecture. Even at that, it's taken years of work to hide the devices under Linux, and it used to be a nightmare trying to get your software, drivers, and hardware all compatible with each other.

Does Flash really exist for the Milestone? I've seen specs that say it has it or it is compatible or something. But I haven't seen a demo.

But if Flash is already out there on the Milestone, then that all the more clearly would underscore that it is Verizon that is holding things up, and not merely implementation delays. Because Flash on the Droid and the Milestone would be identical.

tom

Does Flash really exist for the Milestone? I've seen specs that say it has it or it is compatible or something. But I haven't seen a demo.

But if Flash is already out there on the Milestone, then that all the more clearly would underscore that it is Verizon that is holding things up, and not merely implementation delays. Because Flash on the Droid and the Milestone would be identical.

tom
I was just saying that VZW has no say over the Milestone. So that means that Adobe could make flash for the Milestone and then we would be able to port that over. I was simply showing that VZW isn't even in the equation.

Obviously that doesn't help the masses and if what you say is true, then the Droid would never have flash out-of-the-box. What I am saying is that VZW is not holding up flash being release on Android devices. VZW may well be holding up flash on VZW devices - but that's simply par for the course with VZW and I don't even care why they do the things they do anymore. ;)

Back